chapter 284

I'm so sorry, are you all okay?" I said, loud enough so that everyone could hear.

"We are all okay so the lady shouldn't worry," Uno answered on others' behalf.

I looked at him and saw that he was helping one injured knight, all the while bleeding himself. But since he's the leader, he is prioritizing his member's well-being more.

"Thank you for everything, please let me heal you," I approached them with that thought in mind, wanting to help.

Uno was startled when I squatted down so I could inspect his wounds closely and immediately protested.

"My lady! You should stay in the carriage, the enemies might still be around," he said which I fairly ignored.

"It's fine, they are already gone. Here, let me heal your wounds," I hovered my palms over the area where he was bleeding and concentrated my mana on it. A soft light glowed, giving a warm sensation that feels comfortable. And the wound slowly recovered under our naked eyes, which made everyone else gawk and watch religiously.

"Ah—" Uno gasped. This was the first time I operated on him after all, so he must be surprised. His face says it.

I smiled at him, "This is the only way I could express my gratitude."

They are always risking their lives for me and now it's my time to reciprocate. This is not even enough, in my opinion. If only I could make sure that everyone around me would never be harmed and shed blood for my sake.

But that's impossible for now because I am not strong enough yet.

After healing him, I went to the other injured knights and looked after them, treating their wounds diligently to the point that I felt tired afterward. I could sense that it was my limit for the day but it's fine, I'm happy that I could be of help.

Because of the numerous attacks, I had also practiced my healing abilities and made progress. Previously, I couldn't grasp how to utilize the concept of it but now I could heal superficial wounds as long as I concentrated hard enough. I could probably heal ten people at most at once now when I could barely keep it together after three people before.

If I could develop this skill to further heights, I would hopefully be able to heal not just flesh wounds but also illnesses and work with the doctors. How amazing would that be? In this day and age, medicine is the most crucial for a nation to have.

The knights I helped said all their thanks and admiration, which made me embarrassed even though I am used to the attention.

When I'm assured that there were no more wounded people and everyone was fine, I went back to the carriage and waited for Lukas to come back. I didn't wait that long because he got in right after, scaring the living daylights out of me. And he's not frosty anymore. He looked at me probingly while I leaned half of my weight to Kuro who didn't mind it and was even happy to be coddled.

"When did you return?" I asked him, still reeling from the shock just now.

"While you were playing saint," he answered nonchalantly.

I glared at him, "What do you mean by that?"

Playing saint… What a jerk…

"Nothing," he muttered."I was helping them," I clarified.

"Mmm sure you do," hummed Lukas who lazily leaned on the cushion, much like a cat.

He kept calling me a little cat when he's here looking like one.

I frowned at his indifferent reply. It just sounds sarcastic in my ears.

"I really am."

"That's what I said," he frowned as well.

I then pursed my lips. Seems like we don't understand each other.

Whatever…

"Where did you go, anyway?"

"Pursued a rabbit in the forest," was his vague answer. A sneer then formed from his lips, "It hopped really miserably."

And I just sat there, gazing at him with a confused expression because he sounded like he meant it differently than it should.

"Did you catch it?" I trod carefully.

"Of course. It was a slow rabbit," his eyes then dimmed, showing that he was unhappy, "But it killed itself before I could put it in the basket— What a pity."

Yep. He must have meant another form of 'rabbit'. I'm pretty sure now.

The journey continued and we were more alert this time. The usual pace doubled so that we could immediately reach the palace safely. As we sat there in silence, my fingers were idly stroking Kuro's thick fur while my mind was miles ahead.

"Do you think those people would follow me to the palace?" I unconsciously spoke out.

"Who knows. They already infiltrated once," Lukas answered with his eyes closed as if napping.

I turned to him, "Then the palace is also in danger?"

"There is no safe place," he replied.

"But then the people in the palace would get dragged to…" I trailed off, worrying like crazy.

Why do I always give problems to the people around me? I'm starting to feel depressed now. It's like my only role in life is to be a headache and a magnet to disaster.

"You don't have to worry about such things," Lukas opened his eyes and met mine.

I bit my lip and averted my gaze on the floor instead.

"But I can't help it… Maybe I should pack my luggage and leave the empire," I rambled distractedly.

That's right, I should probably leave the country and flee to another kingdom or something. Probably in the wee hours too so that it won't be too obvious and no one would be awake to know that I left.

This made Lukas snort, "Are you an idiot? You'll die easier if you do that."

I pouted. Of course, it won't work. They are able to track me down even though we triedeverything to deceive them. They must have someone spying on me all the time.

"The palace is currently the best place for you because the arcane tower is there. One would be a fool to attack when that damn magician is around," Lukas grumbled.

I looked at him, "Wow, you really dislike Lord Janus…"

He always calls him a damn magician, which is true. He truly is one, yes. But Lukas is much braver for not hesitating to call him that. I will maybe curse Janus inside my head but only when he's not around. He could read minds, I'm so sure.

"I feel nothing for him," Lukas spat out in disgust.

My eyes blinked at him, "I didn't mean it that way, I meant as a person not romantically."

He scowled at me.

"What the hell are you rambling about?"