20. Communicators

This is gonna be a big one! This is chapter 20 of Pale fire, grab something to drink and/or eat and enjoy! I worked hard on this one to make it up to yall for being inactive for like a month <3

————

The End was surprisingly quite hot and a humid warmth clung uncomfortably to Scott's skin.

"I think here should be good." Lauren calls out to whatever of her army she still had (the ones that she managed to escape once she noticed the corruption again) and Scott's army too.

It was an underground bunker, it was a few miles away from her kingdom but it still linked to the boarder of it if you went down the long tunnel.

Everyone was settled into rooms, it was quite packed yet in a cozy kind of way, i mean war IS scary and you wouldn't want to be alone during it.

———— Time skip

Scott was waken to a dry throat and a pool of sweat in his bed. The wether was almost unbearable. It had taken him a moment to realise what had awoken him in the first place, his communicator.

Jim<3 : Hey petal, we haven't spoken since you left. Are you safe?

Scott smiled at the message, he knew Jim was just as scared as he was.

Me: Hey Jim, I'm okay! We're at the bunker right now, though the wether here is driving me crazy!

Jimmy on the other end of the line, was smiling with relief that Scott was okay.

Jim<3: Yeah the wether in the End isn't too great. It's 1am for me, I'm gonna try get some sleep. Please keep in touch or i'll be worried out my mind, I love you<3

Me: Love you too cod boy<3

Jim<3 has liked your message

Scott sighed turning off his communicator and turning onto his side. Tomorrow's gonna be a long day.

———— Time skip (Next day)

The cafeteria was dull and lifeless, nobody breathed a word.

All you could here was the odd slurping from someone drinking the watered down blackcurrant juice or the spoon clanking onto the side of the metal bowls of some plain old vegetable soup.

Scott leaned over to Lauren who was on the opposite side of the table. He kept his voice low and hushed.

"So, the plan for today?"

Lauren took a spoonful of soup and then continued to spin the spoon in the soup with a disgusted and unamused look, then answered Scott with the same hushed tone.

"Both me and you are going spying today, no army or anything but we'll take our communicators incase of desperate help. Obviously we're gonna need to take a few people to the end of the tunnel with us but they won't go out"

Scott nods and takes a sip of his drink. Then scrunches his face up in a grimaced way.

Lauren scoffs "It's god awful isn't it?"

Scott chuckles "Yeah, I'd rather drink Jimmy's swamp water."

"I'm sure you'd drink anything jimmy gave you, even if it was labelled with TOXIC on the front of it"

Scott rolls his eyes and laughs "I love him but that doesn't mean i'm THAT willing" And he gives Lauren a nudge underneath the table which leaves the both of them having a light laugh.

"He's good for you, that's why your gonna get out here alive, for both my sake, aethias and Jimmy's too."

Scott looks down at the table not answering that one.