22. An early return home

Scotts ears were ringing, he opened his eyes and stared blankly at Lauren's dead body. His mind was racing, he could barely hear the muffled shouts of pearl and Dakota.

He felt as if his body had gone numb, Lauren's voice rang through his empty mind like a rabbit running through a mine field.

"In another life, Scott"

Her lips pressed into a painful smile as she slipped away from the grasp of life, she looked so peaceful. Yet it hurt so much.

He was snapped out of his daze by someone pulling him by the arm, pearl. The three of them ran, back the way they came and down into the bunker. Scott felt nothing but pain ripping through his heart.

Pearl and Dakota put Scott in a private bedroom and left to let him rest. He couldn't sleep. at all.

All he could think about was Lauren, he had failed her, he said she wouldn't die. If he hadn't have fled, if he had stayed and not gone back for the guards. They wouldn't have given him their communicators and it wouldn't have rang. He wouldn't have known Scott was there. He wouldn't have murdered Lauren.

————

The next day everyone waited anxiously for Scott to enter the cafeteria, and he did.

His hair was rough and he had tremendous bags under his eyes. They were puffy and red and his nose was also stuffy.

He stood on the table, and tapped his glass for everyone's attention.

"I am sad to announce, that lady Lauren of the galaxien empire is dead." He hitched his breath looked at everyone's faces. Tears threatened to fall.

"We will be taking an early return home, then in a week me and a handful of my army will return to rescue as much of the galaxien empire we can."

Everyone agreed with Scotts statement, grateful he was still willing to fight for Lauren's kingdom.

Scott continues, "If the day comes where we are allowed back-up kingdoms to retrieve the galaxien empire i swear on my life i will fight until your homes are back. In the meantime you'll all have to stay with me."

And with that they were all ushered to the portal, one by one going through. They were met with a big crowd of people, including the other emporers.

————

Everyone piled out of the portal and back into the overworld. They were greeted with blankets and food, family and friends, and travel back home.

Those who died (The two guards, and unfortunately, Lauren.) were informed off immediately, and a banquet of respect was soon to be hosted.

Scott hadn't yet been seen by other emperors even though he did, indeed, return home safely. He'd locked himself up in his room.

Soft knocks were heard from the other side of the door

"Scott?"

It was the Cod Father, Jimmy.

Scott didn't reply.

"Scott I-" It sounded like he was about to cry. gee. how much of a dick Scott felt, he sat behind a door silently whilst the love of his life is on the brink of tears on the other side and he wasn't even doing anything about it. "I just.. I just want to talk." There was a pause. "Please."

Jimmy sounded desperate, he WAS desperate. He just needed to know Scott was okay and alive, he spent hours and nights crying as he left to fight in a war. a war Scott almost died in if it weren't for his lucky escape.

And Jimmy needed him.

"I'm fine, Jim."

"No you aren't, if you were fine you would say it to my face, not hide behind a door."

A silence followed,

"Just fucking leave. I don't want your pity or help."

Why did he say that? What was wrong with Scott that he said that to one of the only people who care about him?

"Okay."

And Jimmy's footsteps disappeared.