3. pogues protect pogues!

➻❥

➻❥

   THE SOUND OF NO alarm startles Ember awake more than the actual alarm would. Her hand moves around her bed to seek out her phone in the dark. Blackout curtains make sure no sun can come in till Ember lets it.

The bright light of her phone makes her curse and the constant vibration from the groupchat makes her groan. "Spring Break?" Ember reads out, completely forgetting that break has started. This weekend has left Ember in a daze, she barely remembered it was Monday. It is like she's in a dream—no, a nightmare. One that leaves you constantly confused and when you wake up you can't tell what is real and what isn't. Ember blinks and rubs her eyes hoping it'll help but it just leaves the black stars and spots in her vision.

11:30am

"Fuck, when do I work again?" Ember asks herself, forcing the warmth of her purple quilt off of her. Constant messages are coming in from the groupchat but Ember is ignoring them to find her schedule. "Oh, not till four," Ember smiles, her feet hitting the floor.

Ember gives in and checks the groupchat. Too many messages with very little context all seem to be in a panicked state. Finally, Ember scrolls up enough to understand what the hell is going on and her heart drops.

There was a fire in EMBERLEI.

Her eyes scan the other texts, gaining more details that she cannot tell helps or not. The Elliot family were all working, it didn't completely burn to the ground but several employees including her mother were burned, customers ran out screaming and Peterkin is saying it was most likely arson.

"Oh my God, oh my God," Ember repeats over and over again, stumbling to grab her stuff. The big window facing the driveway has its curtains ripped open, blinded by anxiety and the sun. Not a single car in the driveway.

Arson. Not a thought in Ember's brain denies that it's her dad's family. Her chest moves rapidly, her fingers hovering over which person to call first. So many missed calls from The Pogues and her family. Ember's thumb feels like it's dragging itself between two numbers.

Kie and Sarah.

She looks up, catching herself in the mirror in front of her. Mascara from the night before is all under her eyes, a pale, dazed look that reminds Ember of someone she doesn't know. Crazy how shit goes wrong in the matter of three days.

The ringing of her phone makes her grab it immediately. A sense of relief falls upon her at the sight of Sarah's name on her screen.

"Sarah?" Ember says it with an airy tone, trying to ignore the quiver in her words. "Ember? Jesus, we were about to knock your door down. We are on the way over," Sarah says.