26. you don't trust me?

➻❥

➻❥

       A SNEAKER TAPS AGAINST the cement anxiously. Ember's whole body is shaking despite the lack of a chill in the air thanks to the nearly summer North Carolina air.

            She had lied to her girlfriend and two best friends about where she needed to be. Something about her mother and aunt wanting to catch lunch randomly when it was actually Ember inviting Eevee out for lunch.

           Now she finds herself in front of the Maybank house. JJ's house in fact. Eevee had slept at his place because her parents are on another bender. And fortunately in JJ's case, Luke Maybank is out on a job for God knows how long. The wobbly screen door flies open, revealing a tired JJ.

       "Hey, there Em. You alright?" He asks, stepping down to her. Emberlei smiles at him, the tapping of her foot slowing. "Um, yeah. We slept at Kie's last night," Ember says with a bright smile. JJ cocks an eyebrow, clicking his tongue, "And slept with Sarah....or a really big mosquito?" He gestures to the big, red and purple hickey planted on Em's light skin. Her heart races again.

She has a hickey? How didn't she see it earlier? Her hands fly to cover her neck, brown eyes bulging out of her head.

       "J, how bad is it?" Em asks, wincing. JJ smirks, trying to cover a chuckle, "You got a scarf?"

     "It's the middle of May, JJ! No, I don't have a scarf!"

     JJ laughs, full on belly laughs at the girl's misery, "Good luck. Oh, and—before you ask, no, I won't tell Sarah about you talking to Eevee. I appreciate you talking to her though. She's been kinda miserable and I don't know what to say to her except offer weed." Emberlei rolls her eyes and opens her mouth to speak but Eevee emerges from the home. Her jaw drops at the new look she has on.

      Eevee has cut her blonde hair right above her neck, her eyeliner is much thicker than she's ever seen and there's no gems stuck to her face.

       Eevee sharply inhales, "Hey."

     "Hey. Uh, I like it. The hair," Ember awkwardly gestures. JJ's gaze bounces between the two of them, narrowing his eyes before whistling to feel the tension and walking away. Eevee rolls her eyes at him and walks down to Ember, "Lunch?" The way Eevee is speaking carries so much confidence. It's not even been that long since everything went down but her shoulders are held up higher, smile a bit more smug.

       Ember chuckles, gesturing to her car, "I was thinkin' this little place called EMBERLEI'S? How's that sound?" Eevee and her both get into the car as she nods in agreement.