7. mascara is slightly running

➻❥

➻❥

  AS EMBER STARES DOWN at the unconscious body of her grandma, she realizes that she would no longer go to simply juvenile prison if caught—no, she'd be in the big leagues. As well as Gray, Moxie and Kie. The four of them are 18 while the others are still young and thriving.

"Ember, let's go," John B rushes Ember towards the van. It's already started and they're half way down the driveway before one of them can even close the van door. "Moxie, this is the one time we're letting you speed. Take advantage of it!" Sarah yells.

There's an odd feeling within Ember that she can't yet decipher. She regrets the way this happened, she regrets getting her friends so deeply involved with an assault on her grandma but she doesn't regret showing them she's tired of their shit.

She's also—sad. Ember thought she had accepted the hate of the Alastair family years ago. The hateful looks they began to give her even before Ed died thanks to their own ignorance. Sometimes Ember thinks that half of this vengeance isn't even about her dad but rather the families blatant homophobia.

The way Kelliane looks at her though, it's like Ember is just someone else to her. She was never the little girl she cradled in her arms. She was never the little girl she'd make cheese and crackers for or the one she bought a whole play set for. Emberlei Giovanna Alastair is just another business transaction to them. That's what Kooks thrive on—every single way to get money and power.

Not the Elliot's though. The Elliot's thrive on their kindness and love for the community.

Ember's eyes land on Gray, his head resting against the window. It's not like she hasn't been offered by Ace to change her name to Elliot, he has like, 4 times. She denied it, wanting to make the name Alastair good again and not just a band of criminals that hate their dead relatives' daughter.

Sarah bites the inside of cheek as she stares at Ember deep in thought. The spark in Ember's eyes isn't there and Sarah is desperate to get it back. She doesn't know if she's capable of getting it back by herself though. She had walked in on that scene, one that Ember had been trying to avoid.

But, there's a realization in Sarah. One that doesn't completely shock her to her core but almost scares her because of what could come with it.

Sarah would rather have all the guns, all the knives and threats thrown at her than never speaking to Ember again.

Because that's what best friends do. All the other Pogues must feel as deeply as she does, right?

A bump in the road indicates that they've entered The Cut. Broken roads littered with potholes. Soon The Chateau comes into view and Moxie stops the van with a slight drift and curses from the teens inside.