8. we can't keep doing that

➻❥

   ELSA PURRS AS SHE rubs her head against Ember's. A bowl of half eaten cereal sits on the dining room table in front of her. Her throat is sore, the cut from the knife is still raw and she had completely forgotten about it until JJ pointed it out earlier.

They had all woken up early to get ready for back to school at the Chateau but Ember needed to go home. She fell asleep in John B's room on his bed and woke up next to him and Moxie cuddled up—that was the first shock to her morning. Their bodies were interlaced, John B being the little spoon.

Ember was stunned to say the least. She thought Moxie or JB would've told her if they were dating but maybe they aren't. There's always been tension between them. Neighbors and childhood best friends—it's a trope made for movies.

  Ember had gotten up and walked into the living room to find Gray and Pope inches from each other. They weren't cuddled up like Moxie and John B but they were fucking close to it.

JJ was laying on the other couch and Sarah and Kie were getting ready in the guest room. It was chaos as per usual to get everyone up. It was a miracle in the first place that JJ was even up before Pope.

Ember asked John B to drop her off at home, that she needed her own clothes and shower soap. The 3 in 1 can only be excused as a one time use.

"How was the Chateau? You snuck outta your own party," Grace asks, placing a cup of coffee in front of Ember.

Sarah's words haven't left Ember's head, she even had a dream about it. More so a nightmare. Sarah had laughed in her face after the confession, saying how stupid Ember was for even believing her for a second.

The nightmare was what woke Ember up and then she saw the confusion that was the two new found couples. "It was good. I'm sorry for leaving. You were wine drunk though so I didn't think it mattered," Ember lies, taking a sip of her over sugary coffee. Just how she likes it.

  "I figured you were with the Pogues so I wasn't that worried. I also saw Rafe Cameron approach you. What'd that annoying ass kid want?" Grace laughs into her coffee cup.

Ember had completely forgotten about Rafe stepping in her way. It feels like the interaction was 3 days ago but it was less than 24 hours ago. She forgot Rafe flirted with her. She doesn't even know what gift his family got her. "Um....something about my gift and just a simple happy birthday. I have to open my gifts later," Ember reminds herself, shrugging off the Rafe incident. Grace nods, walking around the table to sit next to Ember, "Did anything happen last night that I need to know of? Y'know, Alastair family wise?"

Sarah's words have been on such a loop that Ember completely forgot about her apparent inheritance from Edward.

Ember keeps her hands on the coffee mug, glancing at her mom. She does not need to know what happened with Kelliane. That'll rock her world all too much. "No, no. How's the restaurant?" Ember stands up. The Pogues will be here soon to pick her up for school for the first time in over a week. She's been dreading it but as her mom narrows her eyes on her, Ember suddenly really wants to go to school.