24. probably a nightmare

➻❥

➻❥

      PARALLEL. THEY KEEP ENDING up parallel to each other.

     The other will fuck up and beg for forgiveness and a week later the other will do the same. A week later, one of them nearly died and the week after that—the other one almost dies.

     The world should be dull because Sarah is currently half asleep with a probable concussion but Ember's world looks bright. Like someone put the saturation filter too far up.

     JJ is getting patched up by the guys and Sarah is getting patched up by the girls in a separate room.

       Ember wants to reach out for Sarah and kiss the scratches along her arm. The street tore up her skin and it seems like the cuts will never end. Kie and Moxie have bandages and everything she'd need ready. Emberlei is just staring at her, hearing her winces of pain but it all feels echo.

       It's like she's looking at herself in the third person. Like she's in someone's Sims game. And whoever is controlling her life needs to give her a break—needs to give Sarah a break at the very least.

     Gray was right. This isn't weed. Their pupils are large like saunders. Ember thinks she might've heard Moxie say something about shrooms but she can't remember now. Her body is filled with rage and worry. Even more rage than she's ever had in her small body because Rafe Cameron—Sarah's own brother tried to basically kill her and JJ.

   Sarah knows the girls are touching her. She knows she's in a bed but it doesn't feel real.

       "You idiots did shrooms instead of normal edibles!" Kie huffs, wiping down Sarah's cuts. Moxie is working on the cut on Sarah's head. Thankfully, it's stopped bleeding but she knows between the high and the accident her head is gonna hurt so fucking bad in the morning.

      "And God knows how much. Are her pupils big because she has a concussion or because she's high?" Moxie asks, wiping away dry blood.

       Ember finally sits, fists clenched. This anger is worse than when her own grandma tried to kill her on her birthday, it's worse than when her uncle tried to run them off the road—Ember thinks she might be capable of murder right now. Her body is shaking.

         "Hey, Em, hun, take a breath," Moxie coos, noticing the almost evil and unfamiliar look in her best friend's brown eyes. They're darker and not just from her blown out pupils.

      "He tried to kill her and JJ—"

      "I know and I'm pissed too but we need to focus on whatever the fuck is happening here!" Moxie throws her hands in the air, "I'm gonna get her water and check on JJ. Stay with Kie," She says like a mother. Ember huffs but the evil look completely disappears once she locks her gaze back on Sarah. To her surprise, Sarah is already looking at her, a sad puppy look burning through her.