9. don't be a dick

➻❥

➻❥

SARAH'S PLAN IS UNDERWAY as they walk towards the dock where the ferry is. A crowd of busy people, some getting to their jobs and some just going on it for fun. Ember has been checking over her shoulder. People know her parents. If someone sees her or Sarah who is also well known skipping class, they're fucked. Their parents will know.

   "Em, take a breath," Sarah says, linking her arm with Ember's. "This is what I mean when I say I couldn't be a celebrity. Between the Alastairs—"

  "We're not bringing them up today. At all. Got it?" Sarah sternly says but there's a ghost of a smile. The ticket man is getting closer and closer. "I—," Ember stammers, "I'll try my best."

   "My dad tells me, 'There's no trying, just doing'," Sarah deepens her voice as a way to imitate Ward, "But, he just says shit sometimes."

   "Right," Ember raises an eyebrow, gaze drifting to the miles of water between them and Mainland.

Ember hasn't thought much of college since her and Sarah got accepted together. That was in January. Now, it's April. The middle of April and they leave in August. Maybe it's just the fear of leaving the rest of the Pogues here, that's what she doesn't want to think about. Leaving the restaurant, her family, Elsa.

   "Tickets?" The man with a name tag that reads Damon speaks up, hand out for Sarah to show him the tickets. She obliges, happily showing him two tickets for the ferry.

   All goes well and the ramp between the dock and the ferry now guides the two girls. "Do you know what kind of dress you're looking for?" Ember asks the blonde. The ferry is full of people, which is surprising for a Tuesday but most of them are adults anyway.

   "Uh, not really. Something simple though," Sarah says. She finds an open seat, tugging Ember in the process because she completely forgot the two have been linked together. Ember huffs, unlinking and sliding into the booth seat on the other side of Sarah.

  "Yeah, I think I want something simple too," Ember dryly says. She's so paranoid about skipping class and a part of her feels bad for not telling the other Pogues. It was Sarah's rule. "Ember, please just enjoy this. We haven't hung out...properly.....with just us in what feels like forever," Sarah smiles softly. "Yeah, because you've been up Topper's ass," Ember hadn't realized she spoke out loud until Sarah's arms retracted away from her.

   "You're the one that kept telling me to go to him. Let's not forget that," Sarah presses her lips together, tilting her head. Ember bites the inside of her lip, looking away from Sarah and at their view of the ocean.

  The two girls wanted it to feel like old times. Where they'd gossip about things and talk about the most random shit but the elephant is still at large. Ember never confirmed or denied really how she feels about Sarah, to be fair she doesn't fully know. It's conflicting. The best people she could even ask for advice haven't even said anything about their own relationship, if there even is one.