4. weirdo.

➻❥

➻❥

THE HAMMOCK AND WEED has engulfed Ember from feeling too sad. The relaxing sway of the woven hammock and the strong scent of weed that still lingers makes her feel at home. Darkness has fallen in the Outer Banks. The sky is dark with stars above the marsh. There's the chatter of her friends and brother now but her highness has drowned it out a bit.

Thoughts of what the restaurant could look like or as it was happening circle her mind but it keeps coming back to one thing—if Sarah listened and went to hang out with Topper. Catching herself frowning, Ember rubs at her face dramatically as if to wipe the look off her own face. Suddenly not liking how high she is, Ember leaves the hammock but the feeling of the grass beneath her feet is intensified and she really doesn't appreciate feeling every blade. In her mind, tip toeing is her best bet. So, Ember tip toes over to the group, eyeballing for any food leftover.

"Ember! How are you, my dear?" JJ wraps an arm around Ember affectionately. The mix of weed and his pineapple vape now also engulf her. The lack of balance makes her fall into the side of JJ's body but he stabilizes her. "Is there any food?" Ember asks, voice raspy. "Uh," Pope gets up and heads over to a pizza box, smiling at the sight of a single slice left, "One slice of pizza left!"

"Yeah, I saved it for her, Pope," Moxie says, downing a small box of the candy Nerds into her mouth. Pope rolls his eyes at Moxie and hands Enber the slice with a smile, "Tired of being high?"

"Yeah. I didn't even realize the sun set," Ember giggles, taking a big bite. Everything high tastes ten times better. Even food Ember hates, (pork chops), somehow tastes good while high. So, the pizza tastes like gold right now to Ember. She eats the whole slice in what feels like seconds. Sauce is all over her face and they all just stare at Ember.

"You look like a mess, Em," Gray teases his sister. Ember stays quietly confused, tilting her head. She's a woman of almost no words when she's high. Cotton mouth begins and now Ember is craving water. Detaching herself from JJ, Ember goes into the Chateau, jogging towards the kitchen to down cups of water. All the sounds around her still feel amplified and Ember is beginning to dread it. No matter how much water she seems to drink, her mouth still feels dry.

"I'm literally gonna order food," Ember talks to herself, whipping out her phone. When the screen lights up, on top of her lock screen picture of Olive, there's 2 missed messages from Sarah. Starting with how are u? Then leading into an i'm sorry.

  Ember's heart speeds up and her thumb hovers over the button to open the messages but she doesn't. She doesn't want to talk to Sarah while she feels all too high and while Sarah is with Topper more than likely.

Though she feels guilty, Ember ignores it and opens the food delivery app and orders her usual from a local burrito place. When Ember looks up from her phone, the world seems to zoom out. "No, no. I'm tired of being high!" Ember screams to herself, falling into the couch face first. For some reason, all her emotions hit her at once. The high part of her that blocked out her sadness had been stripped away and now she feels everything like she normally does.