08 - 𝖂𝖊𝖑𝖈𝖔𝖒𝖊 𝖙𝖔 𝕮𝖆𝖒𝖕

Her stomach lurched and twisted, she almost let go once but her hand remained planted on the hanger.

Her head buzzed and her eyes hurt as she landed, the world felt like it was turning. It took her a minute to recover, when she did, Holly found herself in an empty alleyway. She could hear the hum of New York, cars honking nearby and people shouting. She missed it.

Holly walked out on Murray Street and fished a golden drachma from her pocket, she raised it to the sky like an offering.

"Stêthi, Ô hárma diabolês!" Holly says monotonously. She felt like someone was watching her, a sudden chill down her neck as she realised how embarrassing it would be if a New Yorker rounds the corner and sees her. But she suppose it's not that odd to them, they are New Yorkers after all. Stranger things have happened.

Holly threw the drachma onto the asphalt, it sank into the road and disappeared. Then, a rectangular pool about the size of a parking space bubbled red, blood like liquid around the spot where the coin melted. A car rose from the ooze, a dark coffin colour taxi shaped itself from smoke.

Holly opened the door, threw her luggage in and jumped in.

The three women turned to her from the front, they all looked identical to one another; frizzy mops of hair, sunken cheeks, thin lips and long crooked noses.

The one in the front passenger seat snarled, "Oh, it's you." Then she turned back to the window.

"Who is it?" Asked the other two sisters.

"Just some hero," said the one by the window.

"Is it her, Anger? Is it her?" The one in the middle asked, practically bouncing up and down her seat.

The one in the passenger seat, Anger, sighed. "Yes, it's her."

"Stop moving, Tempest!" The driver said.

So the one in the passenger seat is Anger, and the one in the middle was Tempest. So that must mean, the driver was Wasp.

"Where to, Miss?" Tempest asked eagerly.

"Er... Camp Half-Blood, Long Island Sound, please." Holly answered, the car started instantly and sped off.

Holly quickly strapped herself in as they entered downtown traffic.

As Wasp sped past traffic, Tempest turned to Holly and showcased her tooth by smiling. Holly shifted in her seat, Tempest just kept staring (even though she had no eyes) at Holly.

"Stop that, Tempest." Anger said, sparing Holly one glance. "You're scaring the poor child."

"Sorry about that," Wasp interrupted as Anger and Tempest began shouting at each other to keep each other shut. "We're just, er... delighted to meet you."

"My pleasu-"

"On your left! On your left!" Anger interrupted, unhelpfully pointing at the road.

Wasp turned the wheel so fast, the car went spinning down the road. When she spoke again, it was like nothing happened. "We haven't seen your kind in a long time,"

"'cause we're stuck in this car all the time." Tempest said bitterly.

"Tempest, especially, was excited for your arrival." Wasp continued.

"Tell me, do they still strung up witches in trial?" Tempest asked, Holly turned from one sister to the other.

"No...not that I've heard of."

"Tempest, the trials ended more than three hundred years ago." Anger said, Tempest scoffed then they began arguing again.

It was a relief when Wasp shouted, "We're here!" As they pulled up on the side of the road.