34 - 𝕳𝖔𝖑𝖑𝖞 𝖆𝖓𝖉 𝖍𝖊𝖗 𝖑𝖎𝖙𝖙𝖑𝖊 𝖓𝖊𝖒𝖊𝖘𝖎𝖘

"HEY UGLY!" Holly shouted, making as much noise as she could for the confused serpent, Holly began to run at top speed away from the tunnel. "OVER HERE!"

The last thing Holly saw was Harry emerging from the tunnel, before the large basalisk filled her vision as she made a run for it. She thought to herself, this was a dumb idea. She was going to die from poison a thousand feet below in a chamber no one knows, her mother surely cannot reach her now. And yet, that didn't stop her from calling for help in her mind wishing that her mother cared enough to try.

There was no answer, Holly slid down the hall as the Basilisk slithered closer to her. Riddle was shouting now, "Behind you, idiot! The boy! Get the boy!"

"SHUT UP!" Holly swerved back around but the Basalisk's tail flicked towards the sound and sent her crashing against the wall with a resounding crack, Holly got back to her feet dizzily, grabbing chunks of rocks and throwing it at the Basilisk that roared in annoyance.

Holly ran across again, Fawkes was now flying over head carrying the Sorting Hat. The phoenix dropped it in front of Holly, and it landed with a heavy clang. Metal gleamed from the folds of the hat, forming what looked like the handle of a sword. "I love you mum!" And then she pulled out a large silver sword, ruby gleamed at its handle.

Holly turned, facing the Basalisk as it swerved blindly with new found strength as she held the sword tightly in her hand. And when it lunged, Holly plunged the sword deeply into its mouth. She pushed deeper with all her strength, into the roof of the serpent's mouth. But warm blood drenched Holly's arms, just above her elbow. A fang was sinking deeper into her arm, the basilisk wailed in agony.

Holly groaned, and with one last burst of energy, she cleaved the serpent's head down with the sword. Her vision was spinning, and she fell on her bottom the same time the Basalisk took its last breath.

Hot pain was spreading slowly up her arm, not as painful as what she's already experienced but she could practically feel the poison surging towards her heart. She breathed heavily, pulling out the fang that had lodged into her arm. While clutching the fang, all the energy drained from her and she started to swerve.

Harry bolted in a run, catching Holly's head before it hit the floor. "Holly, wake up, stay with me! Holly." He shook her shoulders, eyes wild as he searched for Fawkes. "Help her!"

"She's dead, Harry Potter." Riddle's voice moved towards them as Fawkes floated down on top of Holly. "Even Dumbledore's bird knows it. Now there's no one left to defend, poor Harry Potter. I can finish you off myself."

He walked over to the basilisk, plucking a fang with extreme satisfaction now he's almost corporeal and walking towards Harry while he was still facing Holly. He didn't try to move, instead he wrapped his arms around Holly's weak frame, burying his head in her shoulder.

"Harry..." Holly whispered weakly. "The diary, get- the-" With one last shove, Holly turned her and Harry around as Riddle brought the fang down and impaling Holly in the back.

"NO!" Harry shouted as his back hit the floor, and then Fawkes soared overhead once more, scratching at Riddle before dropping the diary next to Harry.

Riddle stumbled back, batting at the Phoenix. Harry pulled the fang from Holly's back, sitting up and grabbing the diary before deeply plunging the fang into the heart of the diary. There was a long, dreadful, piercing scream. Ink spurted out of the diary in torrents, streaming over Harry's hand and flooding the floor like blood.

Riddle was writhing and twisting, screaming and flailing and then- he was gone. Harry's wand fell to the floor with a clatter and there was silence, deafening silence until Holly began to cough violently.