10 - 𝕬𝖓 𝖀𝖓𝖊𝖝𝖕𝖊𝖈𝖙𝖊𝖉 𝖁𝖎𝖘𝖎𝖙

A few days before the Christmas Holidays ended, Uncle Ted was called to work early.

He works in the Ministry at the Improper Use of Magic Department, there's always one underage witch or wizard who does magic over the holidays and their department is tasked to respond or in some cases when muggles get involved.

Surprisingly, Tonks wasn't as busy as Uncle Ted. One January morning, Tonks invited Holly out to skate before the ice melted.

They hobble down the stone staircase and onto the frozen shoreline, the ice stretches out into cold mist making it hard for Holly to see where it ends.

As Holly was tying the laces of her skates, she turned to Tonks.

"Don't you have a job, or something?" She asked. "Don't tell me they fired you already."

Tonks scoffed, picked up a handful of snow and chucked it at Holly. Holly turned just in time, the snow hitting her arm instead of her face.

"No," Tonks replied after a moment. "Moody's on some kind of job over the holidays, wouldn't let me join."

"Isn't training you his job?" Holly asked, getting on her feet and testing her balance.

"Catching dark wizards is his job," Tonks explained slowly, like Holly wouldn't get it. "Training me is just an addition."

"Well, we have a shortage of that, don't you think?" Holly rubbed her gloved hands together. "Dark wizards, I mean."

"And thank merlin for that," Tonks said as she got up and followed after Holly.

Just as Holly was about to hop on the ice, Tonks held a hand out. "I'll go first."

Holly stepped back and let her, Tonks placed one foot on the ice and then another. Then with a strong push, she slid across the ice.

Tonks skids to a stop a few feet from Holly, then she thumps her foot on the ice. After a few seconds, she stuck two thumbs up.

Holly excitedly got on the ice, her hands were freezing and her nose was hurting already. Still, she pushed her foot and skated across the ice.

Tonks had skated further from her by the time Holly made it halfway, she was peering towards the thick fog.

Tonks shouted something, but she was too far for Holly to hear.

"What?" Holly shouted back, she pushed against the ice again and skated towards Tonks.

"Stay- edge- cold!"

Holly frowned, she stopped a distance from Tonks and shoved her hands into the pockets of her coat.

"I know it's cold!" She shouted back, that much was obvious and Tonks didn't have to warn her about that.

Tonks shouted something back, but the more she shouted, the farther her voice seemed to be.

"I can't hear you!" Holly shouted unhelpfully, then she dug the blade of her skates on the ice.

Tonks was starting to get frustrated, her nasal was starting to burn from the cold and she was shivering. It was unbearably cold, which is odd because it had stopped snowing a few days prior and the sun was bright and warm. Although, she blames it on the inconsistency of the weather.

The phenomenon muggles call global warming, yeah that was it. Although, she doesn't get why the ice is getting colder.

Tonks mumbled under her breath, something about getting Holly's ears cleaned. Then she turned and shouted, "I said, stay on the edge! The middle is-"