31 - 𝕷𝖔𝖛𝖊 𝖎𝖘 𝖎𝖓 𝖙𝖍𝖊 𝖆𝖎𝖗, 𝖔𝖗 𝖎𝖘 𝖎𝖙 𝖕𝖔𝖑𝖑𝖚𝖙𝖎𝖔𝖓?

There was a rumour going around, and in a castle full of children, Hogwarts was just one big gossip mill so Holly hardly believed what she heard.

But after hearing Draco on Christmas and the threats he spat on Hermione, it was enough to make Holly rush to the infirmary one afternoon after hearing the whispers.

It's been a week since term started, and Holly wondered why it took her that long to hear about it. Of course, she's been busy with classes- Professors who had stockpiled homework over the holidays had finally given them out- but nothing ever got past her. This shouldn't have.

Rumour had it that another muggleborn was attacked, this one over the holidays, when students were most vulnerable with the absence of the mass. It started when the girl didn't show up to class one morning, and then the next day, and the day after that.

Draco was joyful when he announced it to his friends, "Finally!" He had said. "Someone had the mind to get rid of that stupid mudblood Granger," he cackled and Crabbe and Goyle joined him dutifully.

After hearing it from him, Holly rushed up to the infirmary that evening to confirm if it was true.

Madam Pomfrey was inside when she went in, she was attending to one of the boys- the Hufflepuff, Justin Finch-Fletchley when Holly snuck in.

"Oh, Miss Black," She had said when she noticed the silhouette of the girl. "I'm afraid we've run out of Sleeping Drafts for the evening, come back tomorrow."

"I'm not here for a sleeping draft, Madam." Holly muttered, craning her head to peek at one of the covered beds. A curtain was drawn around it but the candle light formed a shadow. "I'm here to visit my friend."

"And which one is that?" Madam Pomfrey asked, looking between the bed of the Hufflepuff boy, the one of the Gryffindor and the last one where Holly suspects Hermione is at. "You're lacking housemates here, Miss Black."

"Friendship knows no house, Madam." Holly blurted out, and then she shrugged. "A wise woman once told me."

"Alright then, hurry up and find your friend. Curfew starts in half an hour, so you best be quick." Then she carted the tray away into a room at the back, leaving Holly alone to approach Hermione's bed.

She wasn't sure why she was afraid, maybe it was more of a fear that Hermione wasn't petrified but worse...dead. But they wouldn't keep a dead girl in the hospital, would they?

But all worries was soon washed away as Holly approached the bed, and before she could draw away the curtains, a voice called to her.

"Holly?" Hermione asked, she watched as Holly lifted the curtains away and stepped towards her bed. "What are you doing here?"

"I came to see if you were okay," Holly froze in place, looking at Hermione with wide eyes.

Hermione was avoiding her eyes, looking down at her hands as she fiddled with them. She could feel Holly's gaze burning the side of her head, it was bothersome and Hermione wanted to snap at her. To tell her to look away.

"What- Hermione, are you okay?" Holly rushed to the side of her bed, taking her hands and prompting the girl to look at her. Holly found two yellow eyes staring back at her, her dark pupils were nothing but two slits like a cats.

Holly looked at her, taking note of her eyes and the cat-like ears peeking out from her bushy hair. Whiskers had sprouted from her cheeks, and her nose was nothing but a button. Her arm was covered with black fair, some remnants of it around her face and she looked so familiar.

"Are you...a cat?"

Hermione nodded, "Please don't ask."

"Okay," Holly squeezed her hand. "I just wanted to know if you were okay."