Chapter 11: Decoding Items

*Meanwhile*

It was almost sunset. We were all waiting to see which way the sun

was actually gonna set.

"The sun is setting!" Zoey exclaimed. "That's the direction!"

I quickly took my hat off and made the pompom show the direction.

"I think we're good!" I said, giving Zoey and Lada a thumbs-up.

Suddenly, the paper started talking:

You don't need to wait

Until sunrise is around

Because you have something right here

An item you have already found

"Hmmm," we all thought.

"Do you think it could be another item that will give us the ability to do something?" Zoey asked.

"I think you're right, Zoey," Lada, and I replied. "Maybe this item can turn nighttime into daytime and daytime into nighttime."

"But how do we know which item it is?" Zoey asked.

"I suppose we will have to just keep trying to gain the power of each item until we find the right one," I said.

"Or we could try to decode the item," Lada suggested.

"How do we do that?" Zoey and I both asked.

"So basically, let's just say each item is a riddle, and we are supposed to solve them," Lada explained. "How do we do that?"

"Dunno," Zoey and I both replied.

"Well, here's the thing," Lada continued. "Each item corresponds to something. For example, the ring gave us the power of flight. Are there any hints to help you guess what this item could do, if you wouldn't know? Remember to take a close look at the ring."

Zoey, Lada and I looked at the ring closely and we saw a mini picture of a butterfly on the ring.

"What does a butterfly on the ring make you think about?" Lada asked.

"Um, well, butterflies can fly, I guess, so, it means it provides you with the power of flight?" Zoey answered confusedly.

"Exactly!" Lada exclaimed. "It just requires some thinking. Now, let's look at the other items and try to decode them."

We started looking very closely at the turquoise necklace, lavender bracelet, and pearl.

"I remember that the color blue symbolizes freedom, intelligence and space, and the color green represents a love of nature, money and luck," Lada said. "And purple represents luxury, royalty, wisdom and creativity. Also, the color white represents purity, simplicity and innocence."

"What does that have to do with decoding the items?" Zoey asked.

"Well, the pearl is white, the bracelet is lavender (light purple). And the necklace is turquoise, which is also another word for green and blue combined," Lada explained. "What do you guys think the word for changing daytime into nighttime or the other way around is?"

"I feel like purple is the closest color that corresponds to power," I replied. "Because the color green is kind of a calm and nature lover color and the color blue is about freedom and intelligence. I don't think those colors mean power. Purple means royalty, luxury, wisdom and creativity. Those colors look like they correspond to a very special power. And so I think the lavender bracelet is the magical item that gives us that specific power."

"I agree with you," Lada added.

"You know what," Zoey said. "Let's just try gaining the lavender bracelet's power first and then if it doesn't work we'll try the others."

We did what Zoey suggested and tried to gain the lavender bracelet's power. I wore the bracelet on my right hand and held on to my right hand with my left hand. I aimed the bracelet at the crescent moon. Zoey and Lada stood on both of my sides and held on. We all closed our eyes and tried to concentrate. As we were doing this, we could feel something changing. It was a weird but powerful feeling. All of a sudden, we heard a big blast! We opened our eyes and saw the daytime! I couldn't believe it had worked! It was just so cool to be so powerful!

"Ok guys!" I said enthusiastically. "Now we know which way is west! Let's go!"

End of Chapter 11