Chapter 11

The next morning came as the two got up from their beds and stretched out their limbs.

"Yawn. Morning. Do you want to see what Tonja has in the kitchen for breakfast and then I can brew us up some coffee." Tom offered in the mist of his yawning.

"Actually Tom, I need to change my plans, I don't think that I'll have time for anything cooked so maybe a cup of coffee and donut on the way will be just fine for me. I need to head to the Syracuse police station for any insight information on the Mercedes Benz cars in the area." Jerry informed while grabbing a hold of his shoes from the hardwood floor.

"Why? I thought you said that you were just going to make some phone calls." Tom said, with his expression in a mixture of puzzlement and concern.

Knowing that the mafia could be trailing on them a lot closer if he's within the proximity of the city.

"I was, but I forgot that I might need some authorization and official licensing in order to retrieve any of the case filings. I thought you knew that, already." Jerry said, raising his eyebrow a bit in confusion.

"Well yeah but they can't know that I'm on the case." Tom lied straight throughly without a heart beat to stop him from hesitation.

"Why? Is your boss gonna get onto you for working outside of buffalo?" Jerry asked, curiously.

"Actually, It's more of a...." Tom said in a pause, trying to think of another fabrication for his false identity.

He's already told so many since the first day that they've met.

With each time, growing only more suspicion for the little guy.

Who knows how much longer this web of lies will be able to last.

"....A suspension leave. I'm off on all the high profile cases the until my review with the board is finished." Tom blurted out of the blue in such a way.

That even took Jerry aback from it all.

"What?! Why didn't you tell me that before?" Jerry asked, in bafflement.

"Because it was embarrassing to say it before and you were looking forward to finding the people behind the murder in buffalo so... I lied. Sorry if I didn't tell you before." Tom said in a more obvious form of nervousness, hoping that he'd believe in this excuse.

"Oh.... I understand. Thank you for letting me know. I'll just add other witnesses to the story then so that way you won't get into any more trouble with your chief and lose your badge." Jerry said, with a half smile.

"Look, I know this sounds bad and you probably have a lot of questions on your mind but I promise, when this is all over, I'll tell you everything. But for right now, if you need to be at the Station then I can take you up there." Tom said while putting his shoes on as well.

"Okay" Jerry said with a simple nod before the two then head to the car and drove on over the police station.

With the majority of the drive, staying very silent.

Why did he feel like that he had to lie to me though?

Jerry thought with his mind feeling a bit troubled from the whole situation.

Somehow a small feeling in the back of his head told him that something wasn't right.

But his heart, never wanted to believe it, just yet.

Maybe...there was a reason why he wasn't being completely honest with him.

But what exactly.....could that be....