Chapter 12

"So, even though you never caught him, how come he's still out there in the streets? It's obvious that he's the kingpin behind those murders. Where were the other officers when you needed them?" Jerry asked in an expression full of bewilderment once Tom had finished explained everything about Butch.

And the severity of his crimes that have obviously affected the entire state of New York.

"Because nobody from the force was ever successful with these cases. That's why they all remained officially cold. He had a lot of money and resources that kept him from getting arrested and no one would dare to take him in for questioning." Tom fibbed in a way that wasn't completely wrong due to plain fact that Butch would always get his way with the majority of his crimes.

And just like the movies or TV shows that represent organized crime, there was always a way to keep any members from remaining in the jail cell.

Which would include lawyers, law enforcement and maybe even judges, if any members of the organization are taken to court.

"Like dirty cops?" Jerry asked, his eyes widened in concern.

"You could say that. But I don't think that there's a lot of evidence to conclude that some these cops are a part of it. Maybe they're just all afraid that they could get killed or risk putting their loved ones in danger. These people have a way in persuading others to look the other way. It's their own personal form of power." Tom inputted to his perspective.

Seeing how Butch had somewhat took control over his life when he was 18 and at a time where struggling to make much of an ends meet.

Before he found him pick pocketing in the streets one day and offered him a job that was meant to be a lifetime 'do or die' contract.

"Well not to me he isn't, because they're messing with a good cop and a journalist who won't quit. I'd say that we go to the Feathered Brothers Auto Repair shop in town and look around to see how much they know about his manipulative scheming acts. I bet you that they have more information about him and how he was cleaning up his messes than anywhere else. Come on." Jerry insisted as he starts to get up from the table in a rush until a hand suddenly gripped him lightly on his wrist.

"Wait." Tom spoke softly in a tone that took the ambitious journalist to a startling hold.

"What is it?" Jerry asked, with his face immediately blushing red from Tom's gentle touch.

"We need to be careful. Those workers over there may be under the mafia's payroll. Which means that they can alert Butch and his men at anytime when they sense an urge of trouble. So we can't just barge in or trust every word that they say." Tom informed sternly.

"Y...yeah you're right. That would be dumb. Do you have an idea for how we can distract them?" Jerry asked in a stuttering rant that made Tom chuckle at his nervousness.

"Depends on how old you think my car is." Tom said with a teasing smile.

"Why doesn't that matter?" Jerry asked in a mixture of confusion and fluster from Tom's obvious

"You'll see." Tom said with a wink as the two walked quietly out of the police station and drive off in Tom's car towards the auto shop place.

Where things are about to get a little crazy.

————————————————————————

Once they got there, the two then came across a small guy in uniform, who looks a lot like those junky mechanic fellows that will do any kind of car service at the right bargaining price, and got out of the car that was parked near the stations where the workers place their tools that are used to fix up the cars.