I

"More tea, Ms. Martin?"
"I'm good," Tia Martin said as she pushed her cup away from her. She was in her backyard on the patio, enjoying the shade that the umbrella attached to the table was giving.
"Something wrong?" her butler, Mr. Hall asked.
Tia has never called him by his first name like he's begged her to; she's always thought that that was disrespectful, even to a butler.
"Would you know if I was lying?" Tia questioned.
Mr. Hall's chuckle was so deep, Tia could practically feel the vibrations radiating from him. She longed to see his smile. "Of course," Mr. Hall replied. "Your left ear twitches when you do."
Tia's eyebrows knitted together. How come no one had told her that until now? She's lied countless times to spare her parents' feelings. Did they know her tell or were they just as clueless about it as she was?
"Have you ever wanted something, but later found out that it wasn't exactly what you really wanted?"
It was silent for a moment so Tia could only assume that her butler was thinking about his answer to her question.
"Yes," Mr. Hall eventually answered. "When I was your age I wanted to be a football player. But after a game or two I realized that that wasn't what I really cared for. I didn't really love it, you know?" Tia nodded, completely understanding. "Why do you ask?"
Tia drummed her fingers on the table. "I don't really like how my life is," she confessed.
Mr. Hall sighed. "I know being blind is difficult for you Tia, but-"
"I'm not talking about that," Tia interrupted hastily, not wanting to open that wound. She didn't have a joke to make her laugh to keep from crying. She always joked on her condition because it was the only thing keeping her from crawling under the covers of her bed and never reappearing. "I'm talking about this life," she gestured toward the backyard though she wasn't sure if she was pointing the right way. That was until Mr. Hall moved her arm so that she was pointing to the other side of herself.
"People would kill to have your life," Mr. Hall said.
Tia put her arm by her side. "I know. And I'd kill to switch with them. I don't like the fancy stuff. With money comes casualties. In order for us to have so much money, Dad has to be away at work and because we have so much money, Mom doesn't need to get a job and is basically breathing down my neck 24/7, making sure I'm doing my Braille, piano, and school lessons. This is the first time I've spent time without her."
"She cares about you," Mr. Hall reasoned.
"Yeah, a little too much. She's treating me like a child. Always holding my hand when I'm walking with her. Talking to me like I'm a first grader. I'm blind, not deaf."
Tia heard a chair beside her scoot out and felt her butler's hand over hers on the table. "She loves you like I do," Mr. Hall said. "Lighten up on her. At least she's trying."
Tia sighed. She had to agree with that. But she wished her older brother, Tony, was here. He could get Mrs. Martin off her back.
"I know she's trying. But why can't she be like you. You don't give me special treatment."
"People have different ways of expressing their love," Mr. Hall explained then she heard him stand. "Mrs. Martin."
"Hello, David," Mrs. Martin greeted as the chair on the other side of Tia scooted out. "Hello, sweetheart."
"Hi, Mom," Tia said halfheartedly. "Before you say anything, I finished all my lessons."
"Oh, I know, but that's not why I'm out here," Mrs. Martin replied.
Tia felt something or some things slide into her hands. She felt the corners then the smooth surface and dotted line of where it could be ripped.
"Are these what I think they are?" Tia asked.
"Yes!" Mrs. Martin squealed excitedly. "Tickets! You know Raw's tonight."
Tia forgot about that. She grew giddy herself. "Really!" She felt for her mother's arms and gave her a hug. "Thanks."
"Your welcome," Mrs. Martin replied. "I know I can be hard on you sometimes, but I just want the best for you."
"I know," Tia said with a sigh. And she did. This felt like a step in the right direction.