𝟬𝟱. overcompensate

CHAPTER FIVE
don't make it harder than it already is

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

    𝐀gnes Turner had seen talking teacups and wardrobes before and that was only in Disney movies, so when a literal hand decided to knock on her windows in the middle of the night━Agnes looked like she might actually enjoy being alive now. It was a hand. At least that's one thing she was sure of. It had random stitches here and there with dirt under its fingers but it smelled differently than how it was.

    It also looked like it was associated with a certain someone called Wednesday Addams.

    So when it began to talk to her in Morse code by tapping its fingers on her wooden desk, Agnes unknowingly found herself outside Ophelia Hall after that. She stood there, in her dark gray pajamas and a white graphic tee with a bad Ratatouille joke on it two times her size, looking like someone just took a backscratcher to her face.

    She did not want to be there at all. But as she was about to turn around and leave after changing her mind, the door creaked open and a very colorful girl greeted her with the biggest and kindest smile on her face.

    "Aggie! O-M-G!" Enid jumped in delight, pulling her inside her and Wednesday's shared room. Agnes just let her, too tired to argue or even bother to try and leave. "Wednesday wants you."

    "Does she now?" Agnes mumbled, trudging further inside. Then she saw the girl who was already watching her with a dead look in her eyes. Classic Wednesday. "The hand was pretty neat. What do you want?"

    "You need to talk to Tyler Galpin and convince him to help us escape."

    "Perfect," Agnes sighed loudly, walking towards Enid's side of the room to her desk where the bubbly girl's laptop sat. "Just what I needed tonight."

     Wednesday ended up standing beside her like a statue, close enough that she was still in the frame of the camera. The hand, whose name was Thing, had done all the work and made its way to the Galpin's home to deliver their message. Hopefully, the guy doesn't get too freaked out and end up dying from shock when he sees the dismembered hand.

     It didn't take long, and when Enid's laptop started blaring out that familiar noise, along with an unknown caller ID showing up on the small screen━Agnes knew it was the sheriff's son. She pressed the 'space' key which answered his call and sure enough, Tyler Galpin's slightly terrified and confused face appeared on the screen.

    He seemed nervous. His eyes never stayed too long on her, like someone or something else was in the room with him that he was keeping watch. He gulped slightly. "Uh... hi." 

     Wednesday slightly bent down to show her face, which surprised him even more. "That's Thing."

    "Is he, like, your pet?" From the look on his face, Agnes just had to assume the hand had flipped him off from the offensive term. At least for the poor guy.

    "He's sensitive," Wednesday said half-heartedly.

    "Look, I know Nevermore is ground zero for all things weird, but this is next-level," He said, chuckling uneasily as he looked at Thing who didn't seem the least amused. Then he looked back at her, almost instantly noticing the fresh scratches on her cheeks she tried to hide with her dark hair. He tried not to ask about it. "So, uh, what happened to not being allowed to have a phone?"

    "It's not ours," Agnes muttered, scrunching her nose at the hair that flew onto her face. "Are you still willing to help us escape?"

    He shrugged his shoulders. "Well after what happened at the Weathervane today, I figured they'd have you both in solitary."