𝟮𝟲. end of beginning

CHAPTER TWENTY-SIX
i could barely hold it all inside

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐓here was no better way to explain all the shit that had been happening in Jericho, and Wednesday Addams, while she might be right most of the time, there were still a lot of things that she wouldn't get. Her apathy was obviously one of the things that was holding her back, and the girl was too stubborn to realize that. It wasn't like she could fix it anyway. So when Agnes found out that she had Xavier arrested the night after the Kinbott situation—she knew that's where she drew the line. 

     Her footsteps, frantic and heavy, led deeper into the woods, and Agnes found herself in front of Xavier's shack. She surveyed her surroundings, the darkness of the woods and the moonlight's glow made everything seem so much eerie. Her eyes fell to the opened doors of the building, and she walked forward, stepping inside the shack with reluctance and certain caution. 

     Instantly, the first thing that she saw was a large canvas of a painting that almost made her stop breathing. It was Dr. Kinbott. Her face clouded around the shadows. Except there were four slash marks across her face, dark, deep, bloody, and her eyes were empty like the life had been stripped away from her. She took a step forward, her arm raised, a finger touching the painting with care, training the obvious claw marks drawn across the woman's face.

     She closed her eyes, trying to imagine Xavier's dream of this horrific moment. It was obvious he had been in the Hyde's position from the way the image was drawn, almost as if he had been looking down on her. When she opened her eyes, she moved away from the painting and found something peeking out under the table. A frown took upon her face and she crouched down, sliding the piece of hard paper out, only to realize it was a photo. 

     Agnes looked at herself in the photograph. Well, Tyler and herself. But there was no way Xavier could've possibly taken this. That boy was a shit photographer, and despite being a brilliant artist—his hands should clearly stay away from digital cameras. Her frown grew deeper, realizing this Laurel guy had been under their noses quite closer than they'd realized. She gripped the photo in her hand before stuffing it in her pockets and standing up.

     She needed to see Tyler Galpin.

    The town was almost empty when she got there on foot. The cold wind nipped her cheeks, making her shudder and clench her fists inside the pockets of her favorite coat. There were still a few stores with their lights on, but barely any people. Then there was the Weathervane, the brick exterior mixing with the rest of the building around town. Her gaze landed on the windows of the cafe, noticing a certain boy holding a broom and sweeping in the middle of the place. Her lips subconsciously tugged into a small smile.

     Agnes entered the cafe without a word, letting the door close behind her. The glow of the red neon light from the sign of the windows blended with the soft light of the mini lamps scattered around the Weathervane. It gave a warm feeling to the atmosphere, and the only noise came from the cars passing by now and then outside on the desolate road. She shifted on her feet, looking at Tyler's back as he swept.

     "We're closed," Tyler spoke, not realizing it was her.

     "Then you should lock your doors." Agnes raised her brows and quipped calmly, which instantly made the teenage boy turn around. "There's some real scary people out there, you know."

     Tyler didn't say anything, too perplexed to even see her there. Then he shook his head slightly, briefly looking away. "Yeah, um, my Dad told me what happened with Xavier. Pretty nuts."