𝟭𝟯. smoke signal

CHAPTER THIRTEEN
my resentment's getting smaller

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

    𝐖ednesday Addams truly never runs out of surprises. Agnes definitely did not expect her to be hanging around Eugene Otinger who was way better in contrast to the girl's very dark personality. Yet anyway, the three of them stood in front of a cave somewhere in the middle of the same woods that the monster was prowling around. It looked a lot like the drawing on the sketchpad Wednesday had in her hands, which she had no idea where she got from.

    It was obviously not from Xavier. Agnes knows her friend's drawings and his doesn't look like that one.

    Other than the fact she was out in the middle of the woods again, Agnes couldn't stop thinking about Tyler. They hadn't left on such a good note and she really needed to talk to him. Because as scared as she was to find out that he actually liked her, Agnes didn't want to lose him over the fact that she was too much of a coward to admit that she felt the same thing.

    "It's definitely a match," Wednesday stated.

    Agnes glanced worriedly at the younger boy. "What were you doing out here, Eugene?"

     "Collecting specimens. This place is ground zero for horny gypsy moths," Eugene explained. Then he became uneasy as he stared at the hole. "You think it's in there?"

    "Only one way to find out."

    "Oh, okay." Agnes hefted her bag and followed after Wednesday inside the cave. Eugene hesitantly does the same thing. "I guess we're going into the strange dark cave where a deadly monster could possibly be."

    Eugene grimaced at the sight of the cave. "I'm not a huge fan of enclosed spaces. I'm claustrophobic."

    "It's just like getting buried alive," Agnes stated. Then she went on further like it would him feel any better. "You might feel a little queasy for some time and you'll probably die after a few hours but it's bearable."

    "If you hear me screaming bloody murder, there's a good chance I'm just enjoying myself," Wednesday told him.

    Eugene looked at her nervously, but Agnes just shrugged and went after Wednesday with no hesitation. The entrance did look a little bit smaller at first but their crouching height made them fit altogether. Wednesday led the way with a flashlight in her hand, lighting up their way until they ended up at the end of the tunnel, which was now enough for them to stand up straight.

     "This is definitely its lair," Wednesday confirmed, shining the flashing everywhere around them. There were bones, animal bones, Agnes would like to assume.

    "Are those human?" Eugene asked fearfully.

    Wednesday crouched down to inspect one of the skulls on the ground. "No, I think it's got a taste for venison."

    Their findings only kept getting worse. Eugene ended up finding a shackle attached to the cave walls like it was put there for somebody. Then Wednesday came around and shone more light on the chains on the wall. It gave her a sick feeling in the stomach when she realized they were a bunch of scratch marks on the wall like somebody was trying to claw themself out of their binds.

    "Yahtzee." Wednesday plucked a fang stuck between a split rock. Eugene peered behind her and asked what it was. "Concrete proof."

      Agnes stepped forward, hesitantly tracing the scratch marks on the wall. She tried to feel something, anything, but she could only sigh with discontent when her psychic powers did not work. I suppose, it comes and goes just like Wednesday's abilities. She snapped out of her thoughts when Eugene called her name. Tearing her gaze off the used shackle and scratch marks on the rugged walls of the cave.