𝟬𝟳. bad omens

CHAPTER SEVEN
treating my memory of you like a fire

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

    𝐓hat night the county police had appointed a search party for Rowan Laslow's dead body in the mysterious forest of Jericho. After Wednesday's close call with death and the strange creature with large eyes who mauled her attempted murderer's body━both girls ran off back to the Harvest Festival and stumbled upon Bianca Barclay who ended up telling the authorities.

   So believe me when I say it confused the hell out of Agnes when she woke up the next day and found that nothing had changed. Everybody seemed completely normal even though someone they knew or saw around just literally died.

    Someone suddenly burst inside her dorm room and she had to herself (only because she tried to set her last roommate's bed on fire when she was asleep), which made her drop the canister of gasoline in her hands. Thank the heavens it did not spill on her newly swept floors. She had enough on her plate at the moment.

    "Xavier," Agnes sighed, seeing the boy march around her room like it was his own. 

    Her room was like any other room in Nevermore Academy. Except for the empty gas canisters and lighters on the floors, the crumpled papers ripped out from pages of books scattered around her room. Agnes liked to say it was like her brain got morphed into a room. Messy, disorganized, and in danger of bursting into flames at any moment.

     "Do you seriously think Rowan got killed by a monster?" Xavier said amusedly, putting air quotes around the word 'monster' like he didn't quite believe it.

    "I was there, X." Agnes glared at him, walking around to her bedside drawer and searching through countless junks. Her throat tightened, flashes of the awful scene flashing in her mind. "It happened right in front of my face."

    Xavier leaned against her desk, crossing her arms with a deep frown on his face. "Yeah, well, then what the hell was he doing in our room this morning after he packed up?"

    Agnes turned around so fast she almost got whiplash. "What?"

    "Rowan's here. But I think he's leaving soon," Xavier told her. Agnes didn't say anything. She only grabbed her coat and began rushing towards the door. "Where are you going? Agnes!"

    She immediately went straight for Principal Weems's office. Only to find someone who completely drained the blood from her face. Xavier was actually telling the truth. But how the hell was this possible? There was no way. She had seen him die right in front of her face. Mauled alive.

    Stood just outside Weem's opened door was none other than Rowan Laslow beside one of Sheriff Galpin's officers. Inside the room, Agnes found herself looking back into Wednesday's puzzled face who couldn't believe that Rowan was standing right in front of them. Sheriff Galpin, who was with her, didn't quite know how to react.

    Edgar Allan Poe once said, Believe nothing you hear and half of what you see. Clearly, Nevermore's most famous alumni picked that up there. It was no wonder he became a drug-addled madman. Because Agnes Turner was finally understanding why.

    Agnes had never been so restless until today. She sat on the cream-colored couch inside Dr. Kinbott's office with a permanent scowl on her face. The only noise came from the infuriating ticking of the bird wall clock in the corner by the door and the townsfolk chatter outside the windows.

    "Help me understand why you would claim you witnessed a murder," Dr. Kinbott said desperately after countless questions that Agnes never quite answered truthfully. "Was it to gain attention?"