𝟭𝟬. safe and sound

CHAPTER TEN
i'm down with living to fall apart

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐋ucky for her, the teachers obviously ended up lounging around Weathervane for their usual cups of something. Peek at the sarcasm. That included a certain Principal, although Larissa Weems didn't seem too fixated on her this time as she had more pressing matters on her plate now that Wednesday Addams had been transferred to her school.

     Agnes remained behind the counter, doing all the talking, which surprised Xavier as his friend never liked talking unless she really had to. She accepted orders here and there while Tyler would make the orders and Xavier would serve them to the customers around their tables. It was a perfect composition.

     Weems was sitting in a booth by herself when Mayor Walker approached her. He was being friendly like his life depended on it. From where she sat on a stool, Agnes did her best to act like she was doing her job and not eavesdropping on their conversation just for the joy of it.

     "Well, it looks like another successful Outreach Day is upon us," Mayor Walker said cheerfully and Weems laughed politely. "And, uh... thank you for your generous donation to my re-election campaign."

     Weems smiled. "Consider it a token of our ongoing cooperation."

     "Hey." Tyler gently nudged her side, peeking over the small book where she had been mindlessly writing off orders. "What are you doing?"

     "Did you know I'm dyslexic?" Agnes said nonchalantly.

     Tyler blinked in surprise. "No... I actually didn't know that. Is that... Do you need help with writing or, or reading things?"

    "Oh, it's fine," Agnes waved him away, shrugging her shoulders. "Aside from my innate ability of not being able to read━I have a pretty good memory."

    He looked at her with that same twinkle in his eyes. "I keep learning different things about you each day."

     "Yeah, well, I'm an open book," Agnes shrugged. She poked his arms playfully, making the boy grin at her. "But you... Not so much."

     "Am I that hard to read?" He asked, raising an eyebrow.

     She scrunched her nose, acting like she was thinking. "Hmm. Maybe a little."

     Tyler smiled adoringly at her before going back to work. Ms. Thornhill was patiently waiting on the other side of the counter. Only her attention wasn't quite on her order. Agnes noticed how she had her head turned towards Weems' table. She only stopped when Tyler gave her the cupcake she ordered.

     Then the normie teacher approached them, sparking up a small conversation with the school principal and the mayor of the town.

     Agnes spun around on her chair, facing Tyler who was just closing the cupcake container and placing the tong on the side. He took a deep breath that she caught on as he turned and looked at her. For a split second, he looked pretty uneasy but then he masked it with that pretty smile of his that never quite reached his eyes.

     "What's on your mind?" Agnes asked. Then she added jokingly. "I would've thought you hated spending time with me."

    "Oh, God, no." Tyler almost looked terrified that she would think that. It was exactly something he was afraid she would say. He was just starting to like her and now he was making her think he hated her. "No, no. I love spending time with you. This had been amazing I wish you get to spend a lot of time here━"