𝟮𝟬. thunderstruck

CHAPTER TWENTY
i'll say i'm sorry if i sound sordid

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐀gnes looked like she was ready for the adventure of a lifetime. Vermont weather always felt a little too cold for her, especially at night. So she settled with a bunch of layered clothing and her favorite sweater like she was about to travel the South Pole. Of course, as always, she paired them with her slightly overused red Converse which looked a lot like it had seen the end of the world.

     She also might've forgotten that it was a full moon tonight so she wasn't too thrilled about going out. There was a fifty-fifty chance she could accidentally wolf out on someone if they triggered something in her like mentioning how much she loved coffee. Hopefully, nothing like that would happen and they would just enjoy this night of ransacking the Gates mansion for clues.

     "Aggie!" Enid beamed as soon as she saw her approach from outside Ophelia Hall. "This is going to be the most amazing girl's night out."

    "Oh. Yeah." Agnes smiled awkwardly, briefly glancing at Wednesday who merely crossed her arms and looked away like she wasn't the least guilty.

     Enid hopped beside her and grinned. Then she held out something that looked a lot like the same clothing she'd seen Wednesday carrying around at the Weathervane. It was this dark crimson knitted thing, and before Agnes could question what it was, Enid put it around her shoulders with a small squeal and a clap.

    "Now, we're all set!"

    A snood. That's what it was. They all wore their respective snood━Enid in her pink one, Wednesday with her black, and of course, Agnes with her red one. It looked like a scarf and hat-thing at the same time. She learned not to question it and just wore it like it was her normal attire. (She also didn't want to wipe the smile off Enid's face as the girl tangled her arms around hers).

     Before Agnes went out of the Nevermore gate, she briefly checked the perimeter for any unwanted presence. In the night and the fog covering the school grounds, it looked like she was in a Scooby-Doo Halloween special episode. She saw a familiar red sedan just right outside the gates and realized that Tyler actually did follow her words and cut his lights.

     She was so quiet that he didn't realize she was there until he looked out the window and jumped when he saw her. Agnes gave him a mischievous smile before entering the passenger seat of his car. Tyler smiled subconsciously, not knowing she wasn't the only one out there. He opened his mouth to say something but the backseat door suddenly opened and someone stepped inside.

     "Let's go," Wednesday deadpanned in the backseat.

     Tyler blinked, looking between the two of them as he stuttered out a response. "Oh, uh... Hi. Nice to see you too."

     Agnes smiled sheepishly, slightly raising her hand in a pity wave. "Hi."

    Wednesday only stared ahead, obviously not the least concerned that he didn't know they were coming. At first, Tyler didn't seem too confused, but then the left door opened again, the lights inside his car flickering as the person sat beside Wednesday. He turned his body so quickly that Agnes swore he almost got whiplash. His face pulled into a very confused frown, his head shaking a little as he stared at Enid who looked back at him with a distasteful scrunch of her nose.