𝟬𝟵. shooting star

CHAPTER NINE
what could possibly go wrong

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

     𝐀gnes had missed the Poe Cup the next day. She ended up sleeping in, all curled up in her comfortable bed, which was honestly better than her sneaking out and causing mayhem. At least according to Principal Larissa Weems. Agnes only left her dorm room when she remembered she had something to say to a certain Wednesday Addams about a certain book with a ripped-out page.

     Clad in her dark blue robe, like lapis lazuli, and frog slippers━Agnes made her way to the hallways that led to the quad. In the middle of the night, everything looked eerie and mysterious, but after all this time, Agnes found that there were more scary things out there than dark hallways and animal noises.

     She stopped in front of Edgar Allan Poe's statue with a raven perched upon his arm. As inconspicuous as it looked, there was more that lies beneath that old statue. Quite literally. She tucked a dark purple leatherback book underneath her elbow and held a hand in the air. And then she flicked her fingers. Twice.

    Never once, but twice. Click, click.

     There was that familiar clicking noise and the sound of stone grating against each other. She waited and watched the statue of Edgar Allan Poe sink back into the walls as it revealed an opening with stairs leading down to nowhere. Or somewhere

    Without hesitation, she trudged down the stairs, immediately noticing the dimness of the room. There were photos on the wall. Along with her parents. She also realized she wasn't the only one there. A few candlelights had been lit up, and the projector in the middle of the room had been turned on too. She went further down and found that somebody else had already beaten her there.

    "What the f━"

    "Agnes?"

    Stared back at her in the dark were no other than the familiar faces of her friends and classmates in weird dark purple hooded robes. There was Bianca Barclay and her little goonies. However, what she didn't expect was Xavier Thorpe, who looked a little scared to be found out by her, and sweet innocent Ajax Petropolus who gave her a sheepish smile in return.

    "How did you know━?" Xavier asked reluctantly after Bianca sent him a questioning look.

    "Did you honestly think I'm that stupid?" Agnes scowled. "I know shit. And this 'Nightshade' thing is pretty easy. I guess it's not a secret society anymore." Bianca rolled her eyes at her words. She ignored her and looked at Wednesday. "Why is Addams tied to a chair?"

    "The Nightshades are an elite social club," Bianca retorted. "Emphasis on elite."

     "We have roof parties, campouts, the occasional midnight skinny dip," Yoko said, the vampire now out of her sunglasses.

    "And Yoko's an amateur mixologist," Divina, one of Bianca's siren friends, added.

    Ajax nodded in agreement. "She makes a killer virgin mojito. It can get pretty wild."

    "Wow. Do guys even have a bedtime?" Wednesday said sarcastically. "Last I heard, the Nightshades had been disbanded."

     "Yeah, the group kind of lost its charter thirty years ago after some normie kid died."

    "But we have a lot of wealthy alumni, so Weems looks the other way as long as nobody makes any waves."

    "Someone like Rowan?" Wednesday questioned.