𝟮𝟮. knee deep

CHAPTER TWENTY-TWO
maybe i don't act the way i used to

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

    𝐅unerals and rain were probably both of her least favorite things in the world. The first one because it was a funeral, and the second one, because it just gets in the way of doing her most favorite thing. And that was setting things on fire. The classic. Those two things contradict each other in a way that you can barely enjoy both without dimming the other.

    As for whose funeral, the Mayor had sadly passed away in his coma last night. Convenient, right? She had a bad feeling that when Mayor Walker got too close to the truth, someone decided to silence him. Permanently.

    That house. The Gates family. Crackstone. The monster. And somehow Wednesday Addams. They all seem to be connected like a spider's web. But for some reason, Agnes still doesn't know where she stands in this connection. Perhaps the vengeful feeling of fighting for her people. To protect them from getting hurt. Because she didn't care if she wasn't a part of the spider's web, she was already too involved with everything that she just wanted to end the problem herself.

    The cemetery had never looked as full as it was in the middle of the day. Fog covered the entirety of the cemetery. The place didn't give too much comfort for the family of the deceased as they watched the casket be lowered down the soil to be part of the earth. Everybody wore black to respect the dead, each of them holding their own umbrellas to shade themselves from the harsh rain that continues to fall from the heavens above.

    It was a somber day.

     Mayor Walker had been murdered. She refused to believe that he simply passed away in his sleep. She also knew that the killer was there, standing innocently among them and plotting their next move. Hell, they were probably watching every single move she made. At least that's what she gathered when Wednesday showed her the stolen photographs of them and everybody else.

     Someone had been following them throughout the town and Nevermore.

     Everyone was scattered in the cemetery. There was Weems who hid her eyes beneath her sunglasses, and Wednesday Addams who stood alone by herself with a watchful eye. There were a couple of Nevermore students too who paid their respects to the late Mayor. Even the kids' therapist, Dr. Kinbott was there. And a certain redhead with big emphatic eyes. Meanwhile, Agnes stood beside Xavier as the boy held the umbrella for the two of them.

    Nobody spoke a word. Nothing could explain how awful it was to watch somebody get buried.

    Her eyes landed across her where a certain boy stood with one hand in his coat's pocket and the other holding an umbrella like everybody else. Tyler kept a tight lip as he glanced over at her. They never seemed so far from each other until now. Sheriff Galpin's words a few nights ago sank in her mind like the Titanic.

    I supposed Agnes was stubborn enough that she didn't give it too much thought. As they all dispersed after Mayor Walker's coffin had been lowered and buried underneath the Earth for it to claim, Agnes found herself soaking in the rain. Absence of the umbrella that Xavier had been holding to shade themselves from the rainfall.

    She had abandoned him in the crowd of mourning citizens and the family of the loved one who had passed. The painter disappeared among the few of their classmates who had come to the funeral. In this graveyard with a mass of people, two individuals somehow found themselves drifting towards each other like two boats following the same currents from different parts of the sea.

    Nobody seemed to notice how their fingertips ached from touching each other or how their tortured eyes longed for the presence of one another closer to them. Their feet moved with purpose. To the blind eye, they were merely two people walking past each other on this gloomy day.