Chapter 5- Medieval Western Europe Torture Devices Museum - Mizuiyama Sachi

January 11th , 8 PM—

Mizuiyama is having dinner at a steakhouse. She is sitting at a counter with a steel plate, next to a young man.

The thick steak was grilled on the steel plate, and the man next to her leaned forward, looking like he is ready to pounce at any moment.

"Wow, this is really good, to be able to eat such good meat..."

"Yes, please help yourself. This steakhouse is hard to make reservations for, and I don't get to eat here very often."

"Really, thank you so much, I usually live on instant noodles... what a big favor."

"No, it's fine."

Mizuiyama responded with a slight smile.

The man is a graduate student, Shindō Katana, a student of Professor Idogaki who have died in the 'Museum of Medieval Western Europe Torture Devices' case. According to him, his major is cultural anthropology, and his research topics were mainly in the direction of ancient European cultures.

In order to investigate the case, Mizuiyama decided to ask someone close to Idogaki about the situation. First, she got in touch with the university where Idogaki was working at, falsely claiming that she is a relative of Idogaki, and learned about his work. As she expected, Idogaki was in charge of a seminar. Then she went straight to the university, and talked to a few random students, asking them if they knew any students in Idogaki's seminar. It only took her few minutes, and she successfully got a list of five students.

She got in touch with these five people, and called the students who were able to come out right away to meet her at the steakhouse. Of course, the steak was used to catch the students on the hook. Her idea was very simple. She thought that as long as these students are boys, she can just use meat as bait to attract them, and the plan worked quite well.

A student who could be fished out with steak on the day the professor responsible for guiding them was burned to death would be a naïve person. It is better to get information out of someone with such low 'heart hurdles'.

"I'm sorry for calling you out at this time, you probably are busy because of the incident..."

"Nah, it's alright, it's not me who is busy, it's the university staff. Of course, the research team will definitely take a break for a while, but I heard that normal classes at the university will start tomorrow."

"Is that so, it seems that Idogaki-sensei was well-loved by the students."

"Yeah, uhh, I guess."

Shindō is obviously a bit vague. "Ara, wasn't he?"

"Umm... Well."

Mizuiyama read the negative emotions from Shindō's expression. He must know something.

"As I already said on the phone, I don't think Idogaki-sensei died because of a simple fire, I think there is a secret behind the incident and I want to know that truth. The police seem to have concluded that the cause was a fire, and they wouldn't continue the investigation, but in this case, the truth may have been covered up. No matter how small it is, if you know something, please tell me, this is also to let the truth be revealed to the world! "

Mizuiyama told him enthusiastically. It's a lot easier to extract information and gossip by giving a good cause like 'for the truth'.

"Okay. Although a lot of what I know is rumors, I will tell everything I can."

Shindō agreed at once, and there was even a bit of determination in his expression, as if he had already made up his mind. Not expecting him to be so simple, it made Mizuiyama almost feel a little guilty.