Chapter 11- Part 2 Daily Life

"Can an ice sphere be used as a lens?"

"Of course it can, and the ice will melt off as soon as it is left for a while, so there is no need for the murderer to collect it. Perhaps the role of the shields also included using sunlight to melt the ice sphere. As long as the sphere melts a little, the rest of it would fall into the torso of the 'Iron Maiden' and shatter."

"What if it wasn't sunny...?"

"Then it would have been postponed to the next day. Although it would've been more difficult to make the victim lose consciousness because of alcohol again, the victim himself probably wouldn't have had any memory of it."

Mizuiyama already has a good idea of who the culprit is. It seems that he is a student at the victim's university.

"Umm... I don't know how to say this but... is it really okay for you to give me all this information? Mizuiyama-san, you investigated the case not to solve it, but to get the information first and have an advantage, right? This is the information that you took the risk to get..."

"As I said earlier. I just do what Ryūzōji-shi thinks is right. I know that giving you this information will ultimately be detrimental to

Ryūzōji-shi, but... I have a feeling inside me that perhaps this is the relief he is seeking. The true answer is... for you to find out."

"...Yes."

"Having said that, the outcome has not been decided yet. I wonder if you can solve all the remaining cases? It's almost 12:45, she's going to call soon, so I should hang up too. I don't think we'll ever see each other again, goodbye forever."

Mizuiyama hung up the phone, perhaps it was her pride that made her not let me say goodbye back to her.

It's 12:45.

Knowing Kirigiri, she should call at the exact second. Or that's what I thought–

But a minute later, the phone remained silent. 2 minutes passed, 3 minutes passed.

5 minutes passed, 10 minutes passed, I left the cafeteria hesitantly and went back to my dorm room.

20 minutes passed, I put on my jacket. 30 minutes passed—

I rushed out of the dormitory.

When I came out, it's snowing sporadically outside.

I ran at full speed, and the snowflakes scraped my face. I threw my arms through the straps of my backpack as I ran to the school gate.

Kirigiri hasn't call– which means that she is most likely trapped in a closed environment, or something unexpected happened. Either way she needs help, maybe she's crying out for help right now...

Just then, the phone rang.

"Hello, Kirigiri-chan?"

"It's me."

It's Lico. "What..."

"Sorry to disappoint you. I'm here to report, the 'Echidna' case is over. The perpetrator is Shima Shirao, 29 years old, male, birthday is August 1st, he is a robbery and murder survivor from 7 years ago. the targets are the robbers."

"You really are amazing. Any injuries?"

"No. I did what Yui-san said and didn't do stuff like breaking fingers or stabbing eyes, but I probably left more or less some bruises—"

"No, are you talking about the perpetrators? I'm asking if you are injured."

"Oh, I'm not injured at all."

"Really, that's great, thank you for your hard work, you helped me a lot, if you weren't there, this game wouldn't have been at all possible."

"Thank yous are not necessary, I'm here to support Yui-san all the way."