Chapter 2 Transparent Black

The next morning, I saw in the mirror a pair of red swollen eyes

I washed my face on the sink, and the cold water on my face refreshed me. Then I tidied up my sleep hair, and as soon as I changed into my school uniform, there was a knock on the door of my room.

Opening the door, Kirigiri Kyōko, who is already dressed, is standing outside.

"Good morning. What's wrong? It's too early for school, isn't it?"

I asked casually, but soon noticed the serious expression on her face, and couldn't help but take a deep breath.

"In the mailbox, there was this."

She took out a black envelope from her bag, with a bright red wax seal stuck to it like blood.

"No way..."

I hope it's fake.

However, this is undoubtedly the challenge letter announcing the start of the 'Black Challenge'.

To avoid looking at it, I stared at the clock. It's a bit too early for school.

"Should we open the envelope later?"

"Why?" Kirigiri asked as if she is suspicious.

"Because today is the graduation ceremony. It'll be over in the morning, and we can open the envelope after that..."

"You want to attend the graduation ceremony?"

"Th-that's not what I meant."

"In that case, we can't hesitate. I think we should confirm the contents as soon as possible."

She said with urgency.

"Is there any reason to be in such a hurry?"

"I'd rather ask why you are so relaxed about it. Don't you have any concerns, Yui-onēsama? Why was this letter sent to me and not to you? This is the first time that this kind of thing has happened, so there must be something different from the previous ones."

"Certainly......"

She sensed the abnormality of the situation.

If I continue to refute, I might inadvertently make her feel uneasy.

"I see, then you can open the envelope at 7 sharp. Gotta finish breakfast before that."

Kirigiri seems to be too anxious, a small frown creased between her eyebrows, and finally nodded in acceptance.

We came to the cafeteria of the dormitory and took the white bread from the shelf. After toasting it with a toaster, I nibbled on it silently with Kirigiri. I pretended to be watching the news on TV and deliberately didn't say anything. Even in this tense atmosphere, being able to spend a casual breakfast with her makes me feel like I want to cry from happiness.