Chapter 3 Part 5- Everlasting White

After saying that, Kirigiri trotted out of the room after thinking about it.

I waited for a while, then set foot on the snow.

Near the forest on the right, there is an eerie sound of leaves rubbing together.

On the left is Yukimura-san's room, and there is no road. On the opposite side of the building is the cliff leading to the bottom of the valley.

I went out in the dark.

The snow is up to around the ankles. I don't know if it's because of the wind or the low temperature, but the snow on the ground is very loose and it rustle when I step on it. The wind is getting stronger and stronger, sooner or later it will turn into a snowstorm, and my eyes will be blinded by the snow and wind again.

Step by step, I walked forward.

There is still a little distance from Yukimura's room...

Both my arms suddenly became heavy. The chains connecting the handcuffs are being stretched, and no matter how much I pull it, it wouldn't move.

There is still two or three meters away from the window of Yukimura-san's room. However, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't move forward, it's difficult to even move my arm.

Kirigiri's measurements were correct.

Suddenly, I felt like I heard a voice calling me from the wind. It was my sister's voice—

Or was it Kirigiri's?

I rushed back.

I jumped into the room from the window, and dragged the chains which made a clanking sound and came to the hall. There was no one there, and the air was piercingly cold.

I went next door to Kirigiri's room.

Just as I was about to open the door, Kirigiri came out of the room.

She looks safe and sound, and she doesn't seem particularly panicked.

"Nothing happened, right?"

I asked while exhaling white breath shallowly and repeatedly.

"Yes." Kirigiri said with a slightly surprised expression. "What's wrong? You are in such a panic."

"I was worried."

I took care not to let the chains get tangled together and hugged her tightly.

Kirigiri lowered her head shyly, and was silent for a while in my arms.

Then suddenly, as if remembering something, she left my embrace to ask.

"How was the test?"

"Almost the same as your calculation. I couldn't get to the window no matter what. So it's true that with all of us being handcuffed together, the possibility of one of us being the criminal is very low."

"An impossible crime. We have seen this kind several times so far, and we have solved them all." Kirigiri said softly. "I checked the chains and they aren't anything special. Of course, all of them are made of the same material. One possibility is one of them being made of rubber, but that doesn't seem to be the case."

"...A chain made of rubber, how did you come up with that."

"All possibilities must be taken seriously. But more importantly, Yui-onēsama, I found something that caught my attention."

Kirigiri took my hand and led me inside her room.

Immediately after entering, she turned around and pointed overhead.