Chapter 4 Part 5- Samidare Yui

Kirigiri took a step closer and looked at me, who is at a loss for words, with an angry expression.

"Was it that important to you to avenge your sister? We have seen so many people who perished so far from being imprisoned by their vengeful hearts. Yet still, you took that step?"

"You— can't understand the hearts of others. No matter how perfect your reasoning is, you can't understand other people's feelings. That's your weakness."

"I... I'm trying to understand! I've never in my life tried this hard to understand! but even so, even so..."

"I'm sorry, Kirigiri-chan, this is all I can do." I embraced her.

It was a very sinful act, and even though my hands are stained... I couldn't help but do it when I thought of all the time I have spent with her.

Kirigiri buried her face in my arms. "And the promise to braid my hair?" She asked.

"One day... for sure."

The sound of the building collapsing came from behind me.

We embraced for what seemed like an eternity— Kirigiri then raised her head.

"The agents of the organization are coming, and the perpetrator whose plans have been exposed will be eliminated."

"Yeah." I shrugged. "But the cameras and microphones that determine that should have been burned along with the building so they won't be able to confirm for a while."

"Even so, it's impossible to escape from them."

Kirigiri took a step back and took out handcuffs from her pocket. It's what she once called a 'memento'. It's the bond between me and her that was forged during the first case.

Then she handcuffed my wrist. "What is... this?"

"I won't let them do what they want. You are my responsibility and I will bring you to justice."

"You can't do that. And... that's not the job of a detective."

"No, it's the detective's job to risk their life to turn in the criminal, so... let's stay together till the end."

She tried to put the other handcuff around her wrist. "No you can't! Kirigiri-chan!"

I cannot put you in a dangerous situation. I tried to knock her away.

But at that moment, a strong wind blew by— I was pushed from the back by something.

Then just like that, I lost consciousness, and when I came back to my senses, I found myself buried in the snow up to the tip of my nose.

What happened?

Did I... fall?

Just as I was about to get up, I felt a sharp pain in my back.

Kirigiri said something loudly, crouching beside me and trying to pick me up.

"Why? Why..." She is very shaken. "Yui-onēsama, don't move! The arrow on your back is—"

Arrow?

The sharp pain coming from the back, is because it was pierced by an arrow?

But who was it...?

Unable to get up, I twisted my body reluctantly and looked toward the burning building.

I saw a figure slowly approaching our way.

His charred shirt is being dragged on the snow, staggering like an undead. his clothes and body are burnt all over, and it was hard to tell who it was at a glance... but I was able to roughly infer who he is from how his hand is covering his left eye.