Chpt 1: The Bastard On The Doorstep

"What is the meaning of this?" Viserys exclaimed at his guard who had just barged into his chambers. "I'm sorry, my lord. But there is... There is something you need to see."

Viserys nerves were already in shambles because his wedding to the lady Aemma Arryn was in two days. He was midst practicing his vows when the guard barged in.

Viserys tutted as he followed the guard down the stairs. Many guards were crowded around the closed door as they all went silent seeing Viserys.

"Well, open the door then" Viserys said. A hesitant guard slowly opened the door to reveal a cold and rainy night. Viserys looked out at the dreadful weather and turned back to his guards. "What is all the commotion about? A little rain?" he questioned.

But that's when he heard it. The sound of a babies cry. The sound made his heart sink as his eyes widened. He looked down at the floor to see a baby with small white hairs. The baby was drenched from the rain and Viserys was worried about how long it was out there for.

He picked the baby in a small basket up quickly as it continued crying. "Get... Get blankets. And maesters... Now!" Viserys exclaimed, still in shock. He wondered why it was here. Who's it was.

He planned to return it to its mother or father until he saw a small letter hidden in the baby's damp blankets. He picked it up slowly as he began to read it.

"Fuck" he mumbled under his breath. The letter was in High Valyrian. He felt his breathing stop as he read it.

"Dear Viserys,
I found out i was pregnant four months after our night together. I apologise for not telling you sooner, but i was frightened. The pregnancy has been hard. I'm afraid, Viserys. I'm constantly afraid that something is to go wrong. So i have made a plan. If for some reason or another i pass during my birth or any time after, my brother is leave my child with you. I believe that you will keep them and raise them right. That's the kind of man you are. The kind of king you will be if i have heard correctly. And you must know that this child is yours, for who else in the seven kingdoms has hair as white as you Targaryens. And who else in this entire world have i loved more than you. I'm sorry for putting this burden on you. I truly am. But if you are reading this letter i am not around to watch my child grow up. So believe me, the thought of that is burden enough. Thank you, Viserys. For this small, bundle of joy i know that this child will be.
With all my love, Your Raven."

Viserys crushed the letter in his hands as a small tear rolled down from his cheek. He didn't even wipe the tear as more came streaming down his face. He fell to his knees as he took the small baby into his arm to try and warm it up.

The woman he had loved so dearly, yet who he had tried so very hard to forget all about, was dead. This little baby was all that was left of her. Left of the pure, first love they both shared.

They both knew it would have never worked. Viserys was a Targaryen. A well respected man and who now, since the health of the great king Jaeherys Targaryen was now declining and his two sons has passed, there was rumours that Viserys could be the new heir to the throne. And for that, he needed a fine, well educated maiden by his side.

Whilst his first love was the daughter of a well known whore. She lived in a small, deteriorating cottage and stole food to keep her and her family going. Yet somehow, by fate, they stumbled upon each other and fell in love.

Maesters and maids came rushing into the room and took the small, shivering baby from him. He put his head in his hands and sobbed. Viserys was known as a very emotional, sometimes weak man who was not afraid to show emotion.

As Viserys sobbed on the floor, one of the maids walked towards him and bent down to his side. "It's a girl, my lord" she whispered handing her to him. He looked up at the woman as a small smile appeared on his face.

"A girl" he mumbled. The baby had stopped crying so he began examining her every feature. She had his hair and his eyes. But her mothers grin and her nose.

He already knew that the girl would bring much trouble and chaos. He could not hide that she was a bastard. She was born even before he was married to Aemma.

Most men would simply leave the baby out in the cold, sell her or even kill her to not leave any scandal. But as i mentioned, sometimes Viserys was weak and emotional. He would never.

The king smiled at the girl as her small grin glared back at him. "Rhaena. You shall be called Rhaena" he said with a small, sad laugh.

And that was it. Viserys told Aemma before their wedding about the bastard baby. And she welcomed her in with open arms. Aemma was just as kind as Viserys.

But the kingdom... The kingdom certainly was not.