Chpt 3: The Battlefield Of Labours

(Tw: Childloss and gore)

After my ride on Cannibal, i rushed to my chambers and put on my royal blue dress. I already knew father would already be furious with me for being this late, so i knew i had to rush to the Tourney as fast as i could.

As i left my chambers, i was met with Rhaenyra who froze when she saw me. We both laughed as we realised we were both late. She grabbed my hand as we ran to the Tourney.

We walked up the steps to the balcony overlooking the Tourney as my father made his speech. When he noticed us sneaking in, he gave us an annoyed glare. We both chuckled under our breath as we sat down.

"Today has become even more auspices by the news i am happy to share... Queen Aemma has begun her labours" he announced.

Everyone clapped as i leaned over to Alicent. "When did this happen?" i asked. "Not but a few hours ago i believe" she said. I scoffed as i slumped in my seat. It would be a lie if i said i wasn't annoyed. At least one of us should have been there for Aemma whilst she goes through this pain.

But i knew father would not let me leave this "important" event. "Let the games commence" he called out as knights rode into the stadium. The men from all the different houses lined up as the games were about to begin.

I checked my nails as the stupid men knocked each other off their horses. These games never interested me. If you are to have a battle, you might as well do it right. Do the real thing. To the death.

I continued ignoring the games until i spotted a knight that caught me eye. "A mystery knight?" i asked. "No. A cole man from the storm lands. I believe his name is Sir Criston Cole" Alicent said. "I've never heard of House of Cole" Rhaenyra said.

The Cole Man won his battle as everyone cheered. The next opponent rode onto the field as they announcer announced his name. "Prince Daemon Targaryen of House Targaryen!" a man announced.

I rolled my eyes at his name but for some reason felt myself gripping the necklace he had gifted me. He was set against Otto Hightowers son, Alicents brother.

The match was quick as Daemon struck the Hightower man off his horse right away. Alicent gasped loudly and shuffled anxiously in her seat. But apart from a couple of wounds and a bruised ego, the man was unharmed.

Daemon rode his horse towards the balcony as Rhaenyra dragged me towards him. "Nicely done, Daemon" i said unenthusiastically. "Thank you princess, now i'm fairly certain i can win these games Lady Alicent, but having your favour would all but assure it" he said.

I knew what he was doing. He was tormenting the poor girl as well as her father. Alicent reluctantly gave Daemon her favour as he rode off.

The three of us sat back down as my eyes drifted to a fuss behind me. Otto whispered something into my fathers ear as my father rushed off frantically. I knew something was wrong. My father would never leave a Tourney even if there was a war outside the gates of the kingdom.

"Excuse me" i whispered to Rhaenyra as i followed him. I followed him back into the castle without him noticing me. It didn't take long for me to hear Aemmas screams echoing the castle halls.

My father rushed into her birthing chambers as i listened through the door. "What's happening?" my father questioned. "The infant is in breach, your grace. All attempts to turn the babe have failed" i heard the maester say.

Aemma continued screaming as my heart sank to my stomach. This meant the babe would be lost. I knew my father and Aemma would be heartbroken with this loss.

"Do something for her!" Viserys exclaimed. "We've tried to give her as much milk of the poppy as we can without risking the child. Your queen is a strong woman. She's fighting with all her might... But it may not be enough."