Chpt 19: Back From The Seven Hells

6 years ago:

"They're tolerable when they're asleep" i whispered. I gently brushed Aemmas hair as she slept on my lap. Laena chuckled as she covered Doran with some soft fur. "They are, aren't they?" she said.

"They speak less... Irritate me less" i teased. "They remind me of mine. Though my girls barley sleep" she said. "You still have not told me their names" i said. "I have told you once i wont tell you again, if you want to know my children's names you'll have to meet them for yourself" Laena said as i rolled my eyes.

I gently lifted Aemma to her bed giving her a light kiss on her forehead. She was my favourite. Though i found it difficult to love my children at the beginning, i did grow to love Aemma more than Doran. She looked like Rhaenyra in some ways. But Doran... He looked like a knight i was praying to forget about.

Laena watched me closely as i began to try and braid my hair in the mirror. I could feel her judgmental glare burn into me as i struggled more and more. "Gods sake" i cursed to myself in frustration almost tearing my hair out in the process.

Laena smiled at the scene as she sat me down on the stool before her. "Just come here, you fool" she said with a soft smile. She began brushing my hair as i leaned into her touch. "Why don't you want to leave here?" she asked. I knew she was going to ask this sooner or later.

"I don't know, " i began. "I have everything here. I have guards, the largest chamber, maids serving on me hand and foot. What else do i need?"

"Your family" she said. I paused at her words. "They do not need me. I don't need them" i muttered. "You don't know that, Rhaena" she said. "They might-"

"Can we... Not speak about this please" i interrupted. Laena held her tongue as i sighed. "From what i know the realm is doing perfectly fine without me. I have no reason to return. The North is the home of my children. If i take them away from that-"

This time it was Laenas time to interrupt me. She pulled my hair as i winced. "Your children can't even speak in full sentences. Do not tell me you are staying here for them" she snapped. I began twisting my ring around my finger anxiously refusing to meet Laenas eye.

"I know you do not want to leave here because you are afraid" she spoke softly. "And that is fine. You may not want to show that you are afraid but i can see right through you, Rhae. It is time you let me help you."

I finally met her gaze in the mirror as she placed the perfect braid on my shoulder. She then wrapped her arms around me, resting her head on my shoulder. "See. It's perfect" she said.

I smiled at her words. "My braids never look as good when i do them myself" i said. "I know. It's because yours are shit" she teased. We both laughed as the moment lingered.

"I love you, Rhaena. You know this, don't you?" she whispered. I stayed quiet. I knew it could not be true. But i wanted it to be true. "I know" i said. She gave me a stern look. "I do. Even if you do not believe it."

A smile tugged at my lips. "I... I love you too" i muttered. Laenas face lit up. She knew it was not easy for me to say those words. And i have never said them to her before, even if they are true.

"And when you do return home, i'm expecting you and Cannibal to ruin your family's evening. No matter where they are. And i will be there to watch."

Present day:

We have been travelling on this boat for a day and a half now and we have finally reached Driftmark. I sat on the bed, waiting for the children to finish readying for the funeral. I was wearing a black dress with a black vail that hung from my head. I stared at the wall, thousands of thoughts drowning my very being.