Chpt 4: Driftmark

The night my father told me i would not be his new heir, i got on Cannibal and left. I rode all night trying to clear my head. And when i returned, i did not go to Rhaenyras coronation.

I haven't spoken to her or my father since that night. I was not angry with Rhaenyra but i knew if i saw her i might do something i regret.

It had been a week now since her coronation and all i've done is rode Cannibal and stay in my chambers. But i decided i was done with that.

I got myself ready and decided to finally leave my chambers. I said hi to the maids as i passed and made my way to the gardens. Years ago, i found a secret part of the gardens.

I haven't even told Rhaenyra about it. That place was mine. It was the only bit of peace and quiet i could get. I walked through the bushes and walked until i found the old oak tree.

There was birds, butterflies and mice running around the grass. The entire place was empty apart from them. I took a sigh of relief.

I sat down and leaned my head against the tree. Finally, i felt at ease with everything. I was finally alone. That was until i heard something, or should i say someone, rustling around behind the other side of the large tree.

I stood up quickly. "Who's there?" i called out in an annoyed tone. A man in a knights uniform came out with his head hung. "I'm so sorry, princess. I thought this spot was undiscovered" the man said still staring at the ground.

"It's fine... It was undiscovered from everyone apart from me... And now you i suppose" i said. I smiled slightly as the man did not dare lift up his head.

"You can look at me, you know" i said. He slowly lifted his head but still avoided my gaze. "What is your name, man who stole my spot?" i asked.

"Ser Criston, lady... Ser Criston Cole" he said. "Ser Criston... How have i never heard of you? You are a knight, no?" i questioned looking at his armour.

"Yes... I am a new member of the Kingsguard" he said. "Well, Ser Criston, i'm Rhaena. But i'm guessing you knew that" i said. "Yes, my lady. I mean princess... Sorry."

"No your fine. My lady is fine. I prefer that actually" i said. I tried to hide my smile but it did not work. He seemed unfamiliar with the kingdom. Like he wasn't from here. Maybe he did not know i was a bastard.

"I'll leave you to your book then" he said eyeing my hand. "Your welcome to stay if you'd like. I'm quite bored on my own. This book isn't very interesting" i said. He shuffled uncomfortably.

"No one knows these parts of the garden. I swear. If that's what you're worried about" i said. He sighed. I thought he would leave, not wanting to get in trouble for being alone with the kings daughter on his first day of the job.

"When did you find this place?" he asked. I smiled as i realised he decided to stay. "Many, many moons ago. My sister and i were playing a game and i hid here. She never found me. I hid year for two days in fact. My father sent out guards all over them realm thinking i had died. I won the game if that wasn't clear."

Ser Criston laughed. "And you never told them where you were?" he asked. "No. This is my land now... And it may be the only land i will rule" i mumbled. Coles smile faded as he understood what i meant.

"I learned about your sisters new claim as heir. First queen of the seven kingdoms i heard" he said. "Yes... Yes she is" i mumbled. Ser Criston saw me growing more uncomfortable so he tried to change the subject. "And i also heard about-"

"When we're you selected to be apart of the Kingsgaurd?" i asked cutting him off. "Well... Only a few hours ago. If you would like to know, your sister seemed to be upset. She looked as if she has been crying. Maybe you should-"