Chapter One

Tucked into the office alcove, Anna took a moment to stare out of the window. Berlin sprawled beneath her, the river Spree catching the sunlight in iridescent shimmers. She needed the breather. Today was an important day.

Doctor Hahn had asked her to take the new patrons of the museum on a private tour this morning. Apparently, her youth, charm and wealth of knowledge on their prized artifact made her perfect for the job and was absolutely nothing to do with the knowledge that the patron was notoriously difficult to please. The curator of the museum was many things, but patient in the face of ill manners was not one of them. He couldn't butter them up as easily when he was irritable.

No matter. Anna was resolved to impress them ahead of the gala they had organised in a week's time. It was imperative. They were favourites of the new President Altmann; the man who over threw the Nazi regime and returned Germany to a time of peace. He might even attend the gala if they were lucky.

She had fussed all last night over what she should wear, something that Elli had found ridiculously hilarious. Eventually, she had settled on her white satin blouse and tweed skirt. She was adamant that she would be taken seriously; this would be her first time of introducing herself to anyone as Doctor Lehman.

Doctor Lehman.

After four, long years, she could finally use that hard earned title. It would be strange to hear other people say it and not simply Karl when he was trying to impress random people in bars.

There was a gentle knock behind her, drawing her focus.

Miriam hung in the doorway, a small smile on her perfect face. Her chestnut hair was swept back into a chic chignon, a cream dress and navy cardigan complimenting her dark features. 'They're here.'

Anna got to her feet, smoothing out her skirt. 'They?'

'Yes. It's not the big man himself. Apparently he's too busy. He sent his mother and son in his place.'

Breathing a sigh of relief, Anna followed Miriam down the corridor. 'And here I was ready to do battle.'

'You'll still want to brace yourself. Grandmother Money seems lovely, but her grandson is already severely unimpressed.'

Anna rolled her eyes. 'Petulant child?'

Miriam smirked. 'You could say that. Though is a thirty-something year old man considered a child?'

'Absolutely.'

The two women tittered as they climbed into the lift. Pinging the button, the elevator whirred to life and began to descend.

'He's good looking though.'

Anna glanced at her friend. 'The petulant child?'

'Mmm.' Miriam was wistful. 'Never seen anyone quite like him. It's shocking really.'

'Does he at least seem interested in history?'

'Trust you to only care about that,' laughed Miriam. 'History isn't going to keep you warm at night.'

Shifting from foot to foot, Anna tried to ignore that reality. 'Well, that is why I'm supposed to be meeting him, Miriam. So is he?'

'Not in the slightest,' sighed Miriam. 'Seems like a cocky son of a bitch. Maybe appeal to his grandiose sense of self.' There was a pause. 'Though, I left them with Margot manning the desk. Perhaps she's managed to work her magic and take him down a peg or two.'

Anna laughed. 'There'll be nothing left of him is that's the case.' She smoothed her skirt again, checking her blouse over as she fidgeted in her shoes that were a little too high.