Chapter Two

'So let me see if I've got this right,' said Karl as he languished across Anna's bed. 'An incredibly handsome, wealthy, well-dressed man asked you out several times...' He paused for dramatic effect, imploring her with his bizarre eyes. 'And you said no?'

Huffing, Anna ignored him and carried on getting ready at her dresser. 'He was so arrogant...'

He scoffed. 'All wealthy men are.'

'It's not an excuse!'

Karl groaned loudly, flopping completely onto the mattress as he ran his fingers through his dark hair. 'You're such an idiot. He was a golden opportunity and you let your pride get in the way!'

'I'm not won over by charm alone.'

'Clearly not. You haven't had a date in years.'

Anna turned to glare at him. 'I was more focused on my doctorate.'

'And now it's over, you should be looking at men again.'

Rolling her eyes, Anna slumped in her chair. 'It's not that important, Karl.'

He eyed her levelly. 'Really? Little Frauline 'I'm looking for fireworks just like my Mama and Papa' doesn't care about romance? You turned down my proposal because you wanted to find your dream man.'

Her cheeks flooded red. 'Don't mock me.'

Karl sat up, grabbing her hands to pull her beside him. 'I'm not, Little One.' He wrapped his arms around her, Anna nestling into him. His scent was deeply comforting, leather and spun sugar filling her nose. 'I just don't know why you wouldn't take the chance when it presented itself.'

Anna sighed. 'There was something eery about him. Something off.'

'How so?'

'I don't know, but the way he looked at me was...' She trailed off. How could she describe that look? It sent heat flooding all throughout her body, even to the tips of her toes. No one had ever looked at her quite like that before.

Karl glanced at her. 'Anna, it's okay to admit that you desire him, you know.'

Wriggling free, Anna cleared her throat and went back to her chair. It could be so irritating that he knew her so well. 'That's not what this is.'

Karl leant forward onto his knees. 'Sex is fun. Lighten up a little.'

'First you're chastising me about not chasing romance, and now you're saying I should just throw myself into a fling.'

'Well why not? Anna you work so hard, all the time. Why not just have some fun with this man?'

Her mind drifted to Mathias. He certainly was handsome, though it wasn't that which drew her to him. There was something so raw and urgent about the way he spoke to her. Her insides writhed to attention with every new word he had spoken.

But she didn't trust him.

The way her father looked at her mother was unparalleled in her eyes. Their bond was so perfect, so beautiful. Why should she settle for anything less than that?

Mathias might be attractive, but she couldn't shake the idea that he was trouble.

'Well, you might meet him at that gala,' Anna said, continuing to apply her make up.

'You still want me to go with you if he's going to be there?' Karl teased.

'Of course I do!'

'All right! I'll go, don't fret!' He laughed and stood behind her, planting a kiss on the top of her head. 'I just want you to be happy.'