Chapter Five

Café Ruhe was dimly lit, soft piano music drifting from its centre under the art deco chandelier. It was a light, romantic jazz number that Anna couldn't quite place but was certain she had heard before. It was soothing. Anna glanced around them at the other patrons, secure in the knowledge that Mathias' hand remained firmly on her back at all times.

Now she worried she might be severely underdressed.

She should have phoned Karl.

The restaurant itself was in the middle of Potsdamer Straße, not far from her father's surgery. She'd heard him mention it plenty of times. Many of his clients frequented there, and he only dealt with the wealthiest of Berlin's elite. If she'd realised they were going here, she certainly would have tried to add more glamour to her outfit. Even if that thought made her squirm.

Anna liked simplicity. She always had. Perhaps she just wanted to emulate her mother in all aspects of her life, and Rachel strove for sophisticated elegance. But the women in Café Ruhe were dripping in diamonds, as casually as if they were wooden beads.

As they were led to their table, the young couple certainly attracted plenty of stares. Whispers flurried around them, sending pin pricks down Anna's spine. She kept her head up, attempting to ignore them. She had to seem like she belonged here. They slipped into a small, cosy booth with plush velvet seating in a deep, indulgent purple.

Mathias stayed close to her, his arm draped lightly over the back of the seats. 'A bottle of the Dom Pérignon please. And a vodka neat, over ice. Polish, not Russian.'

'Certainly, Herr Keller,' replied the waiter, before he moved swiftly away.

Such a precise order. It didn't surprise her that he was a man that knew exactly what he wanted and didn't compromise. Karl would have a field day studying him. Her best friend's career in psychology was infinitely useful, but it did mean she was always under heavy scrutiny.

Shaking away the psychological implications, Anna returned to tentative conversation. 'They know you in here?' Anna asked.

Mathias smiled. 'Of course. I host a lot of meetings here. It dazzles people into relaxing so I more often than not get my way.'

'That's clever,' Anna said, though her tone had an edge of scathing.

His smile didn't waver. 'Isn't that what Doctor Hahn did for our tour? Dazzle us with you?'

Frowning, Anna knew she couldn't counter it. It was the truth after all. Instead she cleared her throat and surveyed the room again. People were glancing over their shoulders at the couple, hastily turning away when she caught them. 'Do you know why everyone is staring?'

'I'm a Keller. I attract attention.'

Why did he always have to be so arrogant? Her brain was ringing with warning sirens, and yet her heart beat faster with the thrill of it. Why was it so exciting to know a man that up himself was doing everything in his power to have her?

Anna continued. 'But you frequent here, why would they stare so much? They all seem to have just as much money as you do...'

He leant in close to her, making sure his lips brushed against her ear. 'I don't go on dates, Anna.'

Turning just slightly, she looked up at him under her long eyelashes. 'Ever?'

'Never. You're my first.'

Blushing, Anna couldn't contain a small smile. This was the truth. She wasn't sure she could trust him and yet she also knew he wasn't the type to lie. He didn't have to. As he kept reminding her, he was a Keller. You don't have to lie when you practically own half of Berlin. 'You're my first date too.'