Chapter Nineteen

Mathias checked his watch again, his teeth gritted to quell his temper. If this wasn't so important, he'd have stormed out already. He never tolerated anyone being late to meetings. But this would be worth it, he placated himself. Totally worth it.

Leaving Anna this morning was torture. He'd had to physically pry her off him, even when she felt so damn good. He'd wanted to roll her over and run his tongue over every inch of her perfect body. Even when he'd finally got home he could still smell her on him. He hadn't wanted to shower and lose it, but it was important to keep up a clinical façade for Krause for as long as possible.

He glanced around Café Ruhe, aware that people were watching him in return. Good. This first bit had to be public. It was vital.

Soon enough, he saw the waiter bring over his guest, who looked thoroughly displeased. 'Herr Krause, for you Herr Keller.'

'Very good,' he said to the waiter. 'I'll have another vodka. Double.' He looked to Krause. 'For you?'

'Brandy,' replied Krause curtly.

'Make that a double as well,' Mathias instructed.

'Of course, sir,' said the waiter, and hurried away.

Mathias looked up at his seething lunch partner. 'Do sit down, Professor.'

Reluctantly, Krause sat opposite him. 'I should have known this was all a ruse,' he sighed. 'Too good to be true that Herr Werner was willing to offer such a large sum...'

'The sum is still on the table,' promised Mathias. 'I just used him to bring you here. I knew you wouldn't come if it was me.'

'No, likely not.'

They sat in silence until the drinks came, Mathias studying Krause. He should have known Anna would never want a man like Krause. He might be a veritable genius in his field, but he was utterly repellent. That ridiculous beard and suit showed a self-love that was nothing short of delusional. The strange bruise on Krause's lip made his hand twist into a fist under the table. When his eyes found the broken finger, it was all Mathias could do no lunge at him across the table.

Patience. He had to have patience.

The waiter returned with their drinks, placing them discreetly in front of them. 'Will that be all for you, Herr Keller?'

Mathias waved his hand in response, letting the waiter leave before he began speaking again. 'So, let's talk business shall we?'

Krause sighed, gulping the brandy down in one swig. No self-control, clearly. 'I'm not sure you will want to invest in this, given that your little girlfriend is no longer part of the expedition.'

Mathias cocked his head to the side. 'That surprises me. It was all she could talk about.'

Scoffing, Krause set his glass aside. 'She wasn't quite as committed as she made out.'

'Hmm,' was all Mathias could manage. She'd never confirmed she'd been completely cut from the project. Anna would be utterly devastated. First she had been molested, and now her dream was shot to pieces. This man would pay dearly for that. Mathias had to supress the rage. It wasn't time. 'Anna and I are not courting though, Professor Krause. My interest in your work is separate.'

'Oh,' said Krause, his brow furrowed. 'I thought she was the one that encouraged you to invest?'

'I'm never one to turn down a good opportunity,' said Mathias before he sipped his vodka. Now it was time to set the trap 'Besides, I'm not going to let some silly girl and her games stop me being a part of history.'

'Silly games?' asked Krause.

'Mhmm,' said Mathias. 'Little fool thought she could tempt me without giving me anything in return. I don't like being played.'