Chapter Twenty-One

There be a sprinkling of spice at some point. You'll see stars. Just like Anna hehehhehe

Anna couldn't help but stare at Mathias as he poured coffee from the cafetière. His shirt was a little rumpled, tucked quickly into his trousers and his braces slung over the top. His hair was dishevelled too; well, dishevelled for him. She liked the look of his forearms, bare to the elements as his sleeves were carelessly rolled up. There was something about him being relaxed like this that was totally mesmerising. This was not a side of himself he let the world see.

As he glanced up at her with a smirk, Anna's heart stilled in her chest. He always knew when she was watching him, not that he seemed to mind.

Mathias slid her coffee across the counter to her before he did one for himself. 'Something on your mind, little cuckoo bird?'

Blushing, Anna added a little cream to her cup and stirred it slowly. 'Just enjoying the view, I suppose.'

Sipping his coffee, he reached out to tuck her straggling hair behind her ear. He seemed to be doing the same as she was; revelling in his lover's features. She shivered beneath his touch, leaning into his cool palm. His thumb moved down to brush her lips, applying the slightest pressure to open her mouth slightly. He stepped close to her, setting his coffee down so that he could enclose her in his arms. Dipping down, he pressed his lips to hers. No matter how gentle he was, his touches always felt like a claim. One that she wanted him to make over and over again.

Parting her lips, Anna let her tongue glide across his, savouring the bitter taste of black coffee against the sweet creaminess of her own. He grunted, his hands grabbing greedily at her clothes. The same hands that had hurt the person who had so badly mistreated her only hours ago.

Mathias' possessiveness made her feel safe; treasured. Her fear of his abandonment had melted away in the ecstasy they had shared in her bed. Her thighs squeezed together now at the memory of it, the mild pain between her legs a searing reminder of what they had done. She loved it.

She didn't know sex could be like that. Even the small forays they had taken together had not prepared her for the feel of him inside her. She'd never wanted it to end. Being with him felt strangely natural. Perhaps it was just that her first experience had completely put her off the idea of sex. That had just been awkward and uncomfortable. Mathias was anything but.

'What are we doing tonight then?' she asked in between kisses.

'Not sleeping,' he replied, turning to press her back into the counter and setting his hands on top of it. 'Or are you wanting detailed descriptions of my plans for you?'

Her cheeks heating even further, Anna buried her face in his chest, enjoying the reverberation of his throaty chuckle. 'I think earlier on gave me enough of an idea,' she mumbled.

'Trust me, it didn't,' he said, kissing the top of her head. Then he cursed with a hiss, tipping his head back in frustration.

'What is it?'

'I'm supposed to go to dinner with Ernst this evening,' he sighed irritably.

'Oh,' was all Anna could manage. She'd forgotten about him. He was half the reason Mathias had been cold to her; he'd stuck his nose in where he had no business to.

'Why don't you come with me?' he asked, drawing back to look at her. 'Then he can apologise to you.'

'Has he said he wants to apologise?' Anna asked with narrowed eyes.

'No. But he'll do it.'

Sighing, Anna fidgeted beneath his embrace. 'I don't want to intrude.'

'He's the one intruding,' murmured Mathias. 'I'm only going because I promised I would. I'd much rather just take you back to my apartment.'