Chapter Thirty-One

Lounging on the sofa, Anna pressed her book into her chest and stared at the ceiling for a little while. She'd assumed, incorrectly it transpired, that she would rather enjoy the time on her own. Her meals were cooked for her, the housekeeper cleaned for her, and all she had to do was turn up after work and relax. But it was her second evening, and she was already frightfully bored.

Mathias had left before she'd even woken up yesterday morning, her only indication that he'd gone his nose buried in her hair in a goodbye kiss. Now, Anna had to contend with another dull evening. Even with the gramophone on in the background, it felt too quiet in the apartment. Mathias presence was completely addictive and being here without him made Anna's pining more acute. She supposed it was better than being completely devoid of him. Unlike his previous prolonged absence, she knew this one wouldn't be forever. And it was definitely something she'd have to get used to, unless she went with him on all of his trips. Which she'd surely hate. Or would she?

As she pondered it, the telephone rang.

That could only be one person. Same person that had called at any opportunity he could.

Anna hurried to the telephone, eager to talk to him. It surprised her just how much she missed his presence, but being surrounded by his smell when he wasn't here sure drummed it in.

'Hello?' she answered.

'Oh my little cuckoo bird, I have been waiting all day to hear your voice.'

'As I have yours,' she said, leaning against the table. 'How's it all going?'

'Well enough,' he sighed, clearly tired. 'It takes up a lot of time though. So many people to meet. I barely have time to call you as it is.'

'Just as well I didn't come along then,' she teased. 'I'd have been terribly frustrated being ignored all of the time.'

'If you'd come I'd never have left the hotel room,' he said wistfully. 'So, perhaps you're right. Better for the business that you're still in Berlin.'

'Will you still be home on Saturday evening?'

'I don't see why not.'

'Wonderful. Because we're going out to celebrate Karl getting his doctorate and I want you to come with me.'

There was a pause. 'Yes. Fine.'

Anna's nose scrunched up. 'Really? It doesn't sound fine.'

'I just want you to myself is all,' he sighed. 'But yes, we can go to celebrate. Has he got something planned?'

'Just drinks. Freddie's coming too.'

'Sounds like he doesn't need us then.'

'Mathias!'

'I'm joking.' He wasn't, but he didn't press the point. 'Book the four of us a table at Café Ruhe. He said before he's always wanted to go. It can be my treat.'

'Really!'

'Of course. Ask for our usual table.'

Anna couldn't stop smiling. 'Thank you, Mathias, he'll be so chuffed.'

'Anything for you,' he said, though his tone shifted. 'But I need you to do something for me in return.'

'Of course! Anything.'

Mathias chuckled throatily. 'So obedient.' He pushed out a long, humming breath. 'I need to hear you come for me.'

Frozen, Anna's breath stilled in her throat. 'Now?'

'Yes,' he said, the words heavy. 'I'm pent up, Anna. It's been far too long since I've had you and the days here are long and tedious. Your sweet little whimpers would really take the edge off.'