Chapter Ten

*Trigger warning: This chapter is the beginning of Anna an Mathias getting naughty. As I'm sure you can tell from his dalliances with Myra, the sex scenes in this book are wholly different to the original series. Mainly because they are very serious, hard hitting historical fiction books, and this is just an excuse to let my inner wild woman out. I've decided to have fun with them, and really let myself go. Between you and I my lovely readers, this is a test to see if I could have a side business as a smut writer.
Although I will build them up piece by piece, Anna and Mathias are not for those wanting a cute fluffy romance (which I'll be honest, I'm not sure many of you are, given that you liked the original series, ha!) There will be a lot of dark romance moments in this book, so I will ensure trigger warnings in case you want to skip. I promise that whenever one appears, the chapter can be skipped without the story being ruined.Happy reading dear ones! And get ready for a new side to Queen Anna.*

It didn't surprise Anna that she'd left the gala earlier than planned. An evening of buttering people up had worn so thin so quickly. Especially as Mathias had not left her side once.

He'd been surprisingly patient. It seemed as long as he was touching her in some way, he was content. It had been strangely comforting having him beside her all night. It might all be circumstantial, but she hadn't had to fight for authority of any conversation all night. For the first time, she had only been shown the utmost respect. No one had spoken down to her or dismissed her clear extensive knowledge. She felt wholly empowered.

And perhaps that was what had made Mathias even more enticing as they had shared their first dance together. Really, for the two of them, the interaction had been seemingly innocent. It was just a dance. But being pressed so close to him, the rub of his body against hers and the feel of him beneath her palms had been too much to handle. It had been her that had suggested leaving, something that Mathias was all too happy to indulge.

They were in his car within moments of stepping outside. Mathias hadn't even tried kissing her. He seemed far too eager to get her truly secluded than to waste even a moment in a distraction, however delicious.

'Tonight went well,' he said as they sped through the near empty streets of Berlin, his hand sliding onto her thigh.

'Surprisingly so, given your earlier indiscretion,' she teased.

Smiling at her, Mathias bit his lip and squeezed her flesh with his fingers and thumb. 'I thought I was the one punishing you, not the other way around.'

'That was hardly a punishment. More of a small telling off.'

'I'd be interested in how you would punish me though, my little cuckoo bird.' His gaze caught hers for a brief moment before it refocused on the road. His chuckle hinted that he knew how nervous that made her. 'All in good time, I suppose.'

It seemed like no time at all before the car pulled to a stop outside her house and the engine immediately cut. Anna peeked at Mathias.

Of course, he was already looking at her. 'Here we are again.'

'Here we are again,' she repeated, her gaze going to her front door. Would any one still be up? If they were, they had to know she was outside. Perhaps they were watching for her...

'Are you considering inviting me in?' he asked, his voice hushed and closer than expected.

Anna spun to find him right beside her, his nose nearly brushing hers. Was she considering it? 'I was wondering if anyone was still up.'

Slowly, he reached forward and planted an incredibly gentle, teasing kiss on her lips. 'Shall we put that to the test?'

Anna had never been so tempted by anything before. All evening she'd had him wrapped around her and it still didn't feel like enough. Her tongue wet the seam of her mouth as she imagined what it would be like to have him in her bed.