Chapter Twenty-Four

Today marked an absolutely momentous day.

For the first time ever in her life, Doctor Anna Sophia Lehman, one of the most anally retentive women alive, was late.

Karl couldn't help but drum his foot under the table, his eyes fixed on the door. Vertuschen was stunning with all its decadent fixtures and soulful jazz, and he wished he could enjoy it more given that he was sat beside an equally stunning man in a less than stunning suit. But he couldn't stop his mind drifting to Anna.

It wasn't a case of wondering what was keeping her. He knew exactly what had her held up. There was only one thing that would delay her. Herr Cheekbones. If his best friend didn't limp in, he'd be entirely surprised.

'Hey,' said Freddie gently, nudging him with his foot. 'You're making the table vibrate.'

'Sorry,' said Karl, finally turning his attention to him.

By all the gods he was handsome.

That muddy tousled hair suited him so well. It was a near perfect colour match to his eyes which were wholly wide and innocent. It amused Karl greatly that someone so tall and athletic always looked like a deer caught in headlights. Every new moment spent with Freddie made Karl ever more curious as to why he was in the profession he was in.

They'd been to the gym together, so Karl was left in no doubt about his physical capabilities... or how fucking divine he looked when he was sweaty. Karl couldn't keep up with him at all; it dented his pride but it did at least mean he got to watch him in all his glory. He'd also thoroughly appreciated watching him in target practice. Karl's inkling was right; that boy was the best shot in the south by a long way. It was so incredibly attractive.

Anything Freddie did was incredibly attractive.

But the most endearing thing about him, was just how sweet and gentle he was. In fact, he might be the most lethal sweetie pie that had ever existed. What a delicious little oxymoron he was.

Karl must have been staring at him for a particularly long time because Freddie's cheeks had heated to a full rosy blush. Still though, Karl didn't stop. He only grinned more as he took a sip of his gin and tonic. God this place had nice dry gin.

'Are you worried about Anna?' asked Freddie, trying to stay on topic.

'Not worried,' sighed Karl. 'I know she'll be enjoying Mathias. I guess I'm just shocked that she's late.'

'Well, you did say that she needed to lighten up,' smiled Freddie as he took a large gulp of his beer. Such a country bumpkin. The only spirit Freddie would touch was schnapps and genuinely seemed terrified by the idea of a cocktail.

'I know,' agreed Karl. 'Don't get me wrong, I'm really glad she's enjoying herself and all. It's more him I guess.'

Freddie looked uncomfortable, desperately trying to hold Karl's gaze despite it.

'Sorry, I know he's your friend...'

'He's not my friend,' said Freddie quickly. 'He's my employer.'

Hiding his need to cheer, Karl downed his drink with a gasp. 'He's just so possessive of her. I never bloody see her anymore.'

'I know,' sighed Freddie. 'It's like he's addicted. Doesn't matter where he is, she is always the centre of his focus.'

That was sweet, Karl supposed. Anna certainly deserved the princess treatment.

But did it have to come from someone who Karl truly suspected might be a sociopath?

'They're here,' said Freddie, nodding to the door.