Chapter Twelve

Anna's eyes slowly opened, peering around her room for a brief moment before she became wholly aware of something.

There was a naked man in her bed.

Mathias lay on his back, one arm tucked behind his head and the other on his stomach. The sheet was tangled over his legs, just teasing her view of his hips. And something else.

Letting out a long breath, Anna simply couldn't take her eyes off him. He'd never looked more like a marble Adonis than he did right now. His muscles were defined without being too much, his light dusting of chest hair fair, trailing all the way to his navel and lower, where it began to darken. She wanted to reach out and touch him, but she'd wake him if she did. And then she would be at his mercy.

Last night was spectacular.

After the third climax, Anna hadn't been able to move for a good long while. Mathias had only just been able to get her to stand up and take her to the bathroom to get cleaned up. And that in itself had nearly turned into another game of pleasure. Too exhausted, she'd managed to keep him at bay, but she couldn't send him home. She didn't want to. They had just shared a moment so intimate she was starting to wonder how anyone could have sex liberally and without feeling. It wasn't the orgasms, though they were wonderful and had her fully addicted to chasing that euphoria.

It was the fact he had held back.

She had offered him the one thing she was so certain he wanted on a silver platter. It hadn't been a test. She really had wanted it to, so drunk on ecstasy that she forgot all about boundaries. But he hadn't. He'd remembered. And what's more, he'd denied himself just to do as she'd asked him. Mathias and everyone around him had continually made it plain to her that he always got what he wanted. And yet he didn't take it from her. Because he cared.

'Do you think I don't feel your eyes on me, little cuckoo bird,' he murmured, Anna nearly jumping out of her skin. One eye open, he let it peruse her slowly before he opened the other. 'Good morning.'

'Good morning,' she whispered, unable to keep the smile from her face. 'How did you sleep?'

'Soundly,' he returned, his mouth crooking to a small grin. 'You snore though.'

Blushing, Anna's brow furrowed. 'No I don't.'

'You do, but it's very light. Quite sweet actually.'

Rolling her eyes, Anna made to get up, but he tugged her back with one arm around her waist. 'I was only going to open the curtains.'

Chuckling, Mathias smoothed his hand down her thigh, pulling her body tight against his as he nuzzled into her neck. 'That can wait.'

Anna wanted to make a smart come back, but he'd stolen her breath as his tongue massaged into her skin. Her exhaustion from last night had abated and left only lust in its wake.

'You were such a good girl last night,' he murmured against her skin. 'I think that deserves a reward.'

'That sounds so much better than that punishment you keep threatening,' Anna whispered.

Mathias smiled, drawing her face to look at his. 'In time, you won't think that at all.'

She made to counter him when there was a knock at the door.

Fuck.

'Don't come...' Anna called.

But it was too late. Elli had barged through the door just as Anna had got up to make sure it remained closed.

Elli's eyes were wide, her mouth genuinely opened in shock.

'It's not what it looks like,' Anna managed, casting a look at Mathias, who had done nothing to hide his smirk, but had at least hidden his body with the sheet.