Chapter Twenty-Nine

Mathias had never been jealous before.

Why would he need to be? He'd always had everything he wanted. Never had to fight for something, never had wait, never had placate himself he might have to go without. That was, until he met Anna. Those few days without her perfect presence had told him he would never allow himself to suffer that turmoil again. Everything else could be damned. As long as he had Anna, he didn't give a shit about anything else.

Which is why if that utter arsehole Lange didn't stop mooning over her, he was going to lose his temper big time.

Mathias wound his arm tighter around Anna's waist, enjoying the feel of her perfect body as she nestled slightly closer to him without breaking her conversation with some other patron of the museum. He loved how she always sought out more physical contact with him no matter where she was. The more she needed him, the closer to godlike he felt. As his fingers traced her waist, his eyes wandered around the room to land on Lange. He stood close beside Altmann as he conversed with Doctor Hahn.

How Mathias hated that man. Who did he think he was? He had no fucking right to look at Anna like he did. He was too fucking old for her. Surely the stupid bastard knew that? And he was married. To a complete bitch but still, he'd made a bad choice and that was his own problem.

Why couldn't Anna see the way the letch was staring at her? For such an intelligent woman she was so blind to the laws of attraction. How did she converse with him and not tell that Lange was practically drooling over her each and every time. Was it simply because she looked up to him? It made sense. He was an important and respected man and Anna had a real thirst to prove herself. Getting his approval probably meant a lot to her. And he did help her out with Krause...

That thought sent a disgusting shiver down Mathias' spine. Lange was probably using that to his advantage, keeping her as the damsel in distress. That wasn't Anna. She was strong, she looked after herself. And if anyone was going to look after her, it would be him, her partner.

Still glaring, Mathias hoped Lange would turn and see him. He was an educated man; surely, he would understand exactly how much Mathias intended to hurt him if he made to steal the only thing in the world that truly mattered. Lange didn't look at him though. Not once. He was thoroughly engrossed in his conversation with Doctor Hahn and the President.

Mathias would have to find another way to demonstrate his contempt.

'Darling, are you all right?' Anna asked, recapturing his focus.

Looking down with a smile, Mathias planted a kiss to Anna's forehead. 'Absolutely fine.'

'You were glaring at something,' Anna said, trying to look around to follow his eyeline.

Before she could, Mathias tipped her chin up, so she looked only at him. 'I was just thinking about how amazing your speech was.'

Anna beamed at him. 'Really?'

Pulling her closer, Mathias' thumb smoothed over her cheek. 'Absolutely. You are so utterly, utterly perfect.'

Blushing, Anna teased her bottom lip with her teeth as she looked away from him. She was so sweet when she was embarrassed. 'Not in front of everyone, Mathias.'

'Anna! Anna!' Elli ran over to the pair of them, strides ahead of her parents who followed her.

Mathias tried his best to quell his frustration. He'd just about managed to keep Anna free of her family after she finished her speech, and now they'd caught up again since the other patron had walked away. Anna needed to stand free of her family; she didn't do herself any favours by constantly being around them. She was a young professional now. She needed to be seen in her own light. If she was going to remain attached to any family, it should be the Kellers. For the name only. It would open so many more doors for her.