Chapter Nine

Ernst grabbed a glass of champagne as the waiter sped past him. He needed something to take the edge off after that encounter. How else was he supposed to keep his cool after facing the little temptress that had her claws embedded in Mathias?

'They're quite smitten, aren't they?' asked Karl, who had stuck around after the pair had disappeared.

'It would appear so,' said Ernst before he knocked back the entire glass in one gulp.

'It's unlike Anna to be so enamoured,' Karl continued. 'Mathias must be very special.'

'Must be.'

Enamoured. What an interesting word to use.

It was probably all a ruse; a way to trick Mathias into blindly falling for her. Mathias was usually so keen to these things, and yet for some reason had fallen completely under her spell. What a fool. Though, she had blushed so sweetly at the mere hint of sex. You can't fake that. It had spread from her cheeks all the way to her chest. The heat in her was obscene, and wholly enticing.

'Oh god,' sighed Karl, rolling his eyes as he shot a disdainful look at an approaching figure. 'Good evening, Professor Krause.'

'Good Evening,' said the man, whose hair was overly slicked into place. 'Charles, isn't it? Anna's friend...'

'Karl,' Karl corrected. His tone was biting. That was interesting. This Von Hart seemed at ease with everyone else, wholly unbothered by Mathias' clear jealousy or Ernst's own indifference. Yet his words were practically dripping with acid towards this Krause.

'I was trying to catch up with Anna,' explained Krause. Wasn't everyone? She had quite the fan club. 'I saw her here with you a moment ago.'

'Herr Keller wanted another private tour before the wing was opened,' said Karl. 'I'm sure they'll be back soon.'

Krause stiffened. 'They went alone?'

'That's what private means,' said Karl. 'She'll be back in time for the big announcement. Don't worry.'

'You know about it?' Krause said.

'Anna tells me everything,' bit Karl, his final word overly emphasised.

What did that mean?

'Well then you know, I was very keen to speak to her ahead of it...' continued Krause.

Karl gave an irritable sigh. 'Well then you wait here and I'll go and find them.'

'I can do that.'

'Don't trouble yourself,' said Karl. 'Chat to Herr Werner here. He's not let me get a word in edgeways so far.'

Ernst couldn't help but laugh at the snarky comment, watching Karl push off in the couple's direction.

Irritably, Krause stood beside Ernst, not saying anything.

This man seemed just as jealous of Mathias as Mathias was of any man that even considered approaching Anna.

What was it with this woman? Did her tits spurt wine? Did being buried in her cunt bring eternal youth? She couldn't be that special. She was beautiful, of course. And Mathias was right; she was just Ernst's type. He liked something to grab onto when he fucked; long hair, big hips and thighs, weighty breasts. It was all good.

But there was something in her gaze that wasn't so inviting. It was challenging, daring, a rise to anything that might combat her. Yet still. He couldn't stop thinking about that flush she'd got. That wasn't daring, that was sickly sweet.

'You don't seem like a big Mathias fan,' Ernst said eventually.

Krause regarded him. 'Oh, I'm sure he's a lovely young man.'