8. 𝐀𝐈𝐍𝐒𝐋𝐄𝐘

𝐀𝐈𝐍𝐒𝐋𝐄𝐘

♡- 𝐅𝐑𝐄𝐒𝐇𝐌𝐀𝐍-♡

To say this summer had been rough would be an understatement. Everything was such a mess after I left the Barber's house at the start of the summer vacation. My 19th birthday was a bust, my mother and step-father making it insufferable. Jacob stayed for about 3 weeks then returned home after having a long chat with his father on the phone. It was his dad's idea for Jake to stay with me but Frank was just making things difficult as was Mrs Barber.

I haven't really seen or heard from Jake since, I tried meeting up with Ashley a few times but she was too busy with her new 'secret' boyfriend. Trying to get any information out of her about him was like trying to get blood from a stone.

But here we are today, the first day at Harvard University, my whole future is ahead of me. I was excited, Jake and I would be reunited again, it was bittersweet knowing my best friend wouldn't be here to join us, but Jakey was enough. I think... I know it's wrong but I didn't just miss him over the summer. I missed Andy too.

Walking into student halls I feel the wave of anxiety and excitement wash over me. I'd wanted to go to Harvard university to study law for as long as I could remember. When I was around 5 years old, my dad, Marco, was taken away in the back of a police car and I never saw him again until my 16th birthday. I received letters regularly from him until around the age of 13 then they suddenly stopped. My mom said it was because a 'criminal' like him wanted nothing to do with me, but in reality I found the letters stashed in her and Frank's dresser.

In the hidden letter's my dad had explained how he was wrongly convicted of a crime he didn't commit. I knew it was naive to believe him but Marco was a good man, he'd never put a foot out of line and despite being locked away, he still cared. When I visited on my 16th birthday it wasn't anything that I expected. I thought he would be this cold, hard figure of a man who didn't care, but the love he had was extraordinary. Despite where he had been living the past 10 years his smile and energy was a breath of fresh air, compared to what I was used to. Marco revealed to me on my 16th birthday that he had a trust fund set up for me, money to go to college with. I knew he wasn't guilty of the crimes he was accused of, which is why I'm standing here today at the top university in my state, studying law to become one of the best defence attorneys. To help the little guy and stop wrongful convictions.

Getting to my dorm, I'm grateful to see I have a single room. We were told when we were enrolling that the halls consisted of shared and single rooms. I was excited to have my own space, I planned on keeping my head down for the next 4 years, and it would mean Jacob and I had some privacy if he wasn't to get a single dorm. I place my bag and other belongings I could carry from my car on the bed. I pull my phone out from my back pocket and check my messages. I see I have a few from Jacob saying he has arrived on campus with his dad. A wave of relief hit me as I was quite nervous about seeing Mrs Barber again, after what went down at the start of summer I hadn't seen her, nor did I really want to. I wanted to apologise for the mess but Jacob insisted I didn't do anything wrong and wasn't the blame. He says her and his dad have been arguing for a little while now, they try to hide it from him but it's so obvious.

Jakey❤️:
Hey babe, just arrived now 😘 I'm staying in Hall E

Me:
Hey you! Aww that's awesome! I'm staying in Hall C. I have a single room 🙌🏼

Jakey❤️:
Lucky! I have 2 roomates, I guess we'll be having some extra fun in your dorm then? 😜

Me:
Keep it in your pants Barber! 😏