Nacht Faust × Reader : The Light In The Dark

Genre : Angst to fluff

Summary : When Nacht loses his brother, he feels the guilt crush on his shoulders and the world darkens before his eyes. But the only source of light illuminates his world when you show up.

Word count : 892

CONTAINS MAJOR MANGA SPOLIERS

. . . 🖤 . . .

Nacht didn't know how much time passed as he stared at his brother's corpse.

Just a few minutes ago his eyes shone with life, but now they were emtpy, dull, lifeless.

His mind was blank. All the anger, sadness, guilt he was supposed to feel at that moment shied from his brain. And all that was left was a dull numbness that promised future pain roamed his mind like a wild animal in a jungle.

Suddenly, the corpse in his hands started to fade, decomposing into ashes that were quickly stolen by wind.

Nacht tried to stop his brother's body from fading away by holding it closer to his heavy chest. He tried to catch the ash from escaping his palms.

But nothing worked.

Instead, he was left with nothing. Alone to suffer the consequences of his selfishness.

If he only had been different like his brother. If he only had never thought of dealing with devils. If he only could have been stronger. If he only could have apologised-

His brother would've still been alive. Breathing and laughing with a healthy contagious glow.

But he could never atone for the mistakes he made.

The devils he delt with stood around him, smirking at him, mocking him for being stupid enough to be blinded by his own lust for power.

You will never become stronger. He heard them say.

You are the only reason to blame for Morgen's death. He so desperately wanted to argue otherwise. But deep down in his heart, he knew they were right.

Just as the agony seemed to suffocate the life out of him. Just as the world seemed to swim in an everlasting darkness. A small flicker of light illuminated in the distance. He knew exactly who it belonged to for he would never mistake that aura to anybody else. He tried reaching for it with all his might.

But the light went off.

And his eyes opened to meet reality.

He quickly sat up and looked around, scanning the room for the darkness that surrounded it. The room was dark indeed, but not as suffocating as it had been in his dream.

He searched for the devils that towered over him, but he could feel through his mana that they were resting in their space. Undisturbed.

He was pulled back to reality when he felt the warm touch that grazed his hand. The only things he could see were the slightly illuminated room and your worried eyes.

The bedroom might have been hard to look around, but in your eyes the concern and love were as evident as the sun in a clear sky.

For some unknown reason, his ears didn't seem to work to make out your voice as you have been calling his name repeatedly along with other stuff, but his mind refused to register what you have been trying to say.

Instead, he watched your lips move as you mouthed his name. He always admired how plain you were with him. How your aura was obvious to show your feelings around him. He even could sense the change in your mana when you acknowledge his presence.

It would become as calm as the waves in an undisturbed sea.

Therefore, he could feel the alert in your aura when you noticed his distress.

"Nacht." It was only with the touch on his palm did his brain finally register the words that previously sounded muffled in his ears.

"Was it a nightmare?" You asked. You could already tell by the panicked look he had when he woke up, the sweat that clang to his forehead, and the rapid pace at which his breathing rasped.

You knew Nacht wasn't the type to be reassured with words for he valued actions far more than a group of letters.

He didn't answer your question, but his eyes never left yours. You smiled at him and took his hand in yours, pressing it to your heart. It was a coping mechanism you both created and shared over the years, you would put his hand on your heart and he would put his own on his chest.

When Nacht asked you how you came up with such idea, you said that your heart simply reminded his that you were still by his side.

"I'm here." It was all it took for him to draw a deep breath and nod. Your heartbeat a reassurance to his racing mind.

It didn't take Nacht more than mere minutes before he regained his composer, nodding at you when he felt he was ready enough to pull away. However, he didn't want to let go of you for he knew you were the only one capable of calming the raging thoughts that still lurked in the corners of his mind.

So, you settled down with his arms around you. Your occasional words a reminder to silence the demons whispering in his inner ears.

Nacht knew the guilt won't fade away. He knew there is always a chance he will lose you or someone dear to his heart. But he also knew that as long as he has you by his side, he could overcome anything that stood in front of him.

The king of devils or a thousand intrusive thoughts. He knew the flicker in his world will only continue to ignite his darkness.

. . . 🖤 . . .

Hey guys!

I hope you are all doing well. Merry Christmas to those who are celebrating!

I hope you have enjoyed this chapter.

Stay safe and lots of love~❤️