Chapter 4: New Face(Wayne)

Half the night he lay awake thinking about how he had somehow caused her pain. Lisette told him everything would be fine and how she knew the farmer as much as he did.

They used to be close before he confessed his love to her. He regretted the whole ordeal. He often wondered if he should've kept his feelings to himself, maybe then he wouldn't feel so awful.

The one thing he couldn't get out of his mind was that she hid from him. Yes, they weren't exactly on speaking terms at the moment, however, he had never realized how uncomfortable he made her until now.

He absently flips the egg omelet over, watching the oil sizzle in the pan. His mind ran wild with thoughts.

Suddenly he's spooked by the kettle on the stove whistling loudly in his ears. Hot steam rose into the air, filling the space. He opens the drawer next to him and grabs a hand mitten and takes it off the burner.

"A hot coffee might be nice." He poured water into his cup. The rich coffee aroma filled his nose, waking him up a little.

Once he finished up his food he turned off the stove, then put the omelet onto a plate. Taking his coffee he sat at the table to eat his breakfast.

Today, he felt more sluggish than normal and he blamed it on his lack of self-awareness. Perhaps he needed to sleep more instead of spending most of his late nights on useless thoughts.

Ford once told him 8 hours of sleep, at most is the best way for someone his age.

It served well to have the doctor as a close friend, however, sometimes he'd go too into depth about medical studies. Half the time he fried his brain as he tried to keep up with all the information.

After eating his breakfast he discarded the dishes into the sink. Once they were cleaned, he set the dishes on the drying rack.

'Bout time I headed out soon." He left the kitchen, heading to his bedside.

He grabbed his hat off his dresser and coat from the hanger and threw them on, then locked the door behind him.

Westown was already quite busy in the early morning, as its residents started their day's routines. The streets are bustling with people going from shop to shop buying wares.

Many of them were locals, acquaintances of his he'd come to know well over the years since he moved here. They'd often greeted him warmly as he carried out his deliveries. 

As he walked down the stairs toward the shops, he noticed a crowd forming near the Buffalo statue. 

What's goin' on?  He thought.

Curious, he moved closer to the crowd, hearing people whisper amongst themselves as he passed. 

"Who do you think he is?" 

"I don't know," Whispered another.

"I heard he's from out of town," A third said. "And single."

The mailman paused scanning the crowd for the source of excitement and when his gaze landed on a tall, lean man with short black hair, he smiled. 

He wore an expensive gray suit and appeared to be lost, completely ignoring the people around him as he glanced down at the watch on his wrist.

"Excuse me, sir?" Wayne said as he walked up to him.

"Yes!" The gentleman answered lifting his head. "Oh, do you need something?"

 The man bore a remarkably dashing face with light facial hair and dark, thick eyebrows, and piercing green eyes. His black curly locks framed his angular face neatly cut above his eyes.

He could see why everyone was so eager to meet him.

Wayne shook his head. "Not me, you looked like you were lost."

"You'd be correct," He replied, running a hand through his hair. "I don't know this place too well, to be honest."

"Well, you'd be in luck I happen to be this town's Mailman, just tell me where you wanna go and I'll get you there," Wayne explained as they shake hands.

"Thank you, uh..."

"Wayne,"

"Nice to meet you, Wayne I'm Allen, can you point me to the flower shop, I'm on a tight schedule this morning?"

"Sure, follow me!"

They headed up the stairs making small conversions along the way. Wayne told him all about the town's history, his postal job, and the best places to dine. 

"This place is perfect for a getaway, I can see why she loves it, reminds me of the countryside." Allen sighed staring into the distance.

Wayne's brows furrowed in confusion. "Did you travel here with someone else?"

He chuckled. "No! I wish believe me. I'm a little embarrassed to say, but I had a fight with my wife. We're sort of on a break until I can regain her affection again."

"Golly sounds lonely..." He seemed like such a genuine guy. What could they have fought about?

He shrugged his shoulders, his expression unreadable.

"It's not as lonely as you think, far from it. She loves her space more than you know."

Wayne glanced up and found himself standing in front of the flower shop. "Oh! Sorry 'bout that got a little carried away."

"Nonsense, it was a nice talk." He patted him on the back and stepped forward to open the door. "I hope our paths cross again, someday."

***

"So his wife kicked him out of their house and he decided to come here for a vacation?" Ford asked walking across the room to fetch more herbs to add to his medicine.

"Yup," Wayne answered as he leaned against his sofa. "He seems like a down-to-earth kinda guy, but I don't know how he talked about his wife..."

Ford returned and dropped the herbs inside a bowl then he began to grind them up before he replied.

"Marriages aren't always easy, I'm sure they'll work out their differences in the end, and besides his life is none of your concern."

"Yes, but-"

The doctor held up his hand to silence him. "Please, tell me you didn't come over here to talk about a guy you literally just met when there are more pressing matters at hand?"

"Like what?" Wayne chuckled, folding his arms across his chest.

"My medicine!" He exclaimed, pointing to the glass vials on the table. "I need one ready by tomorrow afternoon."

Seriously? He's worried bout his medicine not being finished?

"You're a terrible friend, you know that," Wayne said with a lopsided grin as he joined him on the sofa.

"I know, that's why we're friends."