Chapter 5: Helping hand(Scarlett & Wayne)

"I made a fool of myself, Lisette. He hates me, I know it." Scarlett sighs, burying her face in her arms.

"No, Scarlett," Lisette says, placing a hand on her back. "Don't think like that. He just needs time, that's all."

Scarlett turns her head to look at her friend, eyes red from crying, dried streaks on her cheeks.

"It's just it been so long since we've talked and I completely froze up when I saw him again. I didn't know what to say." She sobbed.

Lisette smiles. "I know. And that's okay. Both of you need time to heal more than anything."

"You think?" She asks, lifting her head up and wiping the fresh tears off her cheeks.

The blonde nods, wrapping her arms around Scarlett.

"I'm always here for you, whenever you need it, we all are," Lisette tells her. "Hold on, I'll be back." She stood up and headed to her kitchen.

Left to her thoughts Scarlett wondered if she stayed longer at the flower shop, would she have tried harder to talk to him? And yet she didn't want him to pull away any more than he already has.

A moment later Lisette comes back up, a cup of hot tea in her hands. She sets it in front of her.

"Thought you might like this."

Scarlett smiles as the smell of peaches reaches her nose. Her favorite.

"Thank you." A tear rolls down her cheek.

Lisette gasped. "Don't cry." She wipes the tear away with a pout on her face.

"I'm sorry. I'm sorry." Scarlett chuckles, picking up the tea. The taste is blissful and she takes another sip.

"Don't apologize."

The florist once again ducks out of the room. Scarlett told her it was fine. It was probably time to go anyway, she didn't want to bore her with her life problems anymore.

After finishing the tea she went downstairs.

"Leaving already?" Lisette asked, walking over to her.

"Yeah...I need to get back to the farm to send out today's shipping." Scarlett explained. "Thank you...for today..."

"Nonsense, that's what friends are for," She told her as they hugged.

Wayne's POV

After delivering mail in Tsuyukusa and Lulukoko he took the three-way road this time, and he had a minor headache.

Early in the morning, he and Ethan got into an argument after a customer came to the post office to complain about a late package and threatened to put in a bad review.

He apologized profusely telling them it wouldn't happen again. It drained him so much he forgot his daily coffee, and only had time to eat a fast breakfast.

He wasn't angry, just upset. It had been a long time since they fought concerning his job. It wasn't his fault the ride to the towns took longer than usual that day because of the other coaches traveling to town.

As he walked into Westown, his fangirls immediately swarmed to his side.

"Wayne, have lunch with me?" A black-haired gal asked.

"NO!" Another shouted, grabbing his arm. "He's going with me not you."

He pinched the bridge of his nose, sighing. "Ladies please, I-"

"He obviously doesn't want to go with any of you."

His head ached as their loud voices pierced his ears. He closed his eyes pleading for someone to save him.

"Excuse me, let me through, please." Ford squeezed his way through the crowd, his mouth set in a hard line.

They stared at the doctor with wide eyes, as if he insulted them. Ford unbothered by their glares strolled over to Wayne's side. "Follow me," He said, urging him to follow.

Wayne left without much thought. He dipped his head in apology to his fans and followed the doctor towards the quieter side of town.

He sighed heavily, keeping his head slightly angled to avoid the light hurting his eyes.

"A rowdy bunch." Ford chuckled, but he held no humor in his tone. "They don't know when to let up."

"Sure don't...but thanks anyway," Wayne told him.

Ford shook his head. "Don't thank me, it's Scarlett who called for my assistance when she was passing by on her way home."

"She did?!" He gasped in surprise, his chest warming at the thought.

How kind of her. He knew her well enough to know she always put someone else's feelings before her own. A selfless perk, one of the many reasons he fell in love with her.

"If your finished thinking about her, I have a bottle of painkillers for you."

His cheeks burned, ears turning red at the tips. How'd he know?! He thought, then remembered the doctor made a living being an observer.

"T-thanks," Wayne said taking the pills.

Ford grunted in reply, then padded his shoulder. "Make sure to drink plenty of water, my friend. you'll need it."

He nodded in reply and watched his friend leave.

I'll have to thank her, one day.